Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 53MY Tender

Re: 53MY Tender

My Davit capacity is 1,000 lbs. The Rigids look very nice and appears you can get them in custom color to match the boat. How does the width and length on the 12 fit on the 53? I see they make a 10 foot one. Thanks for all the feedback.

Mark
    Last edited by Dragonten; 11-25-2021 at 11:14 AM.

A 13 whaler will fit. Just. The 11 whaler is too small, can barely carry 4 people with minimal freeboard and wet feet. Even a 13 is far less practical than a rib
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    A 13 whaler will fit. Just. The 11 whaler is too small, can barely carry 4 people with minimal freeboard and wet feet. Even a 13 is far less practical than a rib
    The 13 sticks out both sides and looks stupid up there on a 53.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

https://novurania.com/deluxe-series-360/
    came with the boat. fantastic.
    AB brand is more price competitive, and you can get these used when the yachts get refit in Fort Lauderdale.
    get the grab rail up front, and make sure you have electric trim. our first outboard did not, and it was a pain.
    30 hp yamaha 4 stroke now. Love the dyneema on the crane instead of the wire rope. easier on the hands.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The 13 sticks out both sides and looks stupid up there on a 53.
    Barely sticks out but yes it is big. At least it is usable unlike the 11 whaler. A RIB is much better
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Barely sticks out but yes it is big. At least it is usable unlike the 11 whaler. A RIB is much better
    You have one you’d recommend? I know you’ve had your boat a long time, I’m sure you know more about it than I do. I have a 13 whaler that I already had, I was planning on using it, because it’s a no cost option minus having the chocks made. But it’s heavy to handle and I’ve been kind of nervous about the idea of two hard sided boats banging together when the tender is tied off.

Mark where are you located?
    I'm thinking about switching to an inflatable and selling the boston whaler (I think it's 9'6")
    I doubt your in the area, but just thinking out loud.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    You have one you’d recommend? I know you’ve had your boat a long time, I’m sure you know more about it than I do. I have a 13 whaler that I already had, I was planning on using it, because it’s a no cost option minus having the chocks made. But it’s heavy to handle and I’ve been kind of nervous about the idea of two hard sided boats banging together when the tender is tied off.
    I like Walker bay. We have a 15’ on the boat i run and it s been great. Good design. They have smaller ones too

I had a 13’ skiff I built for a while but it was heavy and always having the fenders right was a pain.

We don’t have much use for a serious dinghy on the 53 these days and we have a 12’ stripped planked catboat instead up there. We re going to get a small torqueedo for when we want a dinghy and not just having fun sailing
    Obviously we remove the two piece mast before raising
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have a 11' Highfield with side steering wheel and a 25hp Suzuki. My friend has the 12' and it planes out a little easier. We love that little boat because its light and has a dry ride. However, if I had to do it over again, I would have bought the 12'.

Weight is always an issue. Can the boat handle a heavier dinghy? Sure. Do you want to stress your davit, raise your center of gravity, and reduce your overall performance with something heavier?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Those whalers can add a few pounds as they age; just like me.

(I hear from a friend).
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ