Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 53MY Tender

Re: 53MY Tender

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Weight is always an issue. Can the boat handle a heavier dinghy? Sure. Do you want to stress your davit, raise your center of gravity, and reduce your overall performance with something heavier?
    Could not agree more!!

I am going to install a new davit system off the stern of my 43 DCFB. The dinghy will be a 10' AB aluminum Rib with a 15 hp motor. Total payload is just over 200 pounds.

I have used the same system on previous boats...easy to launch and easy to retrieve makes for greater use more often.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

I replaced the teak swim platform with one that was hydraulic, and added a yacht-line Zodiac with a 50hp Four stroke Mercury. We played around with bulking up the crane so I could keep this larger tender on the flybridge, but it was too heavy and was a chit show to launch. We have really enjoyed having this on the stern, plus the additional space on the flybridge has been a bonus.
    Attached Images
    Beach House-Hull#421

What brand of lift and tender ?

With proper rigging solo launching / retrieving even a 15’ tender from a fly bridge is easy. The key is to rig a line from bow to stern on the tender, about 25’ long with a an eye in the middle. On the FB you leave another line attached long enough to reach the water with a carabiner. When launching or retrieving you clip the carabiner to the eye in the tender line so you keep control of the tender at all time. Makes it so easy

I don’t like having the tender on the platform in open water especially in following seas. I once has 15’ rib filling up with water on the platform of an 84 footer because of debris restricting flow out the drain hole while crossing the Gulf Stream from the Bahamas. Ever since that day I added a second drain plug above the original one as a back up.

Plus you get spot, salt everywhere.

Also when you need to get the tender back on the platform when the weather picked up or with a bit of surge, it s like controlling a wild horse bucking and banging. When lifting up you get a a couple of seconds of banging when the cable is tight and the tender is still in the water and it goes away

Personal preference I guess. The boat I run now has both a platform and davit and for crossings the tender will be going up.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Could not agree more!!

I am going to install a new davit system off the stern of my 43 DCFB. The dinghy will be a 10' AB aluminum Rib with a 15 hp motor. Total payload is just over 200 pounds.

I have used the same system on previous boats...easy to launch and easy to retrieve makes for greater use more often.

Jon
    Something like this is what we are planning to do. I can't see pulling a Boston Whaler off the top of the boat taking half an hour as being something we want to do. Pushing something off the swim platform and hoping on sounds much more "fun" Just trying to find a good way to attach, without spending a fortune on a hydraulic platform. Seems there are many storage systems out there.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

TNT Lift
    Sea Lift
    Freedom Lift
    Nick Jackson

There are many different options. Talk to others that have them and evaluate based on reviews and pricing, etc.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Also Nautical structure although their customer service isn’t easy to deal with

If you put in a TNT, make sure it lifts the platform high enough. Don’t know about the current models but older ones (5/10 years old) required a second stage installed to lift the platform high enough and avoid it being submerged at hull speed
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I had picked up a decent 13 whaler just when covid hit in hopes to make it my tender/fishing boat.
    I considered a rib but like fishing the back bay and my hooks are rib popping sharp.
    My crane is maxed at 800# and I’m sure my whaler is close if not over my weight limits and tossed around the idea of replacing crane or doing the swim platform thing. What’s the average installed cost of the hydra platforms? I like its simplicity vs hauling up to the flybridge.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

We had Florida Bow-Thruster do the install a couple of years ago. We added a Zodiac Yacht-line 400 to the platform.

Pascal-you make a good point about big water and controlling the tender when you are bringing it up, but keep in mind that we run Beach House on inland waterways in Minnesota where the biggest waves are from my wake. In regards to changing the balance of weight with the heavier tender on the stern, our waterline strip is still parallel with the water, and I have not felt like it has effected the running performance. if anything, with the longer platform on the back, I have noticed that the muffler sound is reduced.

Agreed that it is not an inexpensive option, and might not work for everyone, but for the way we use our boat, it has been the best upgrade that I have done since I have owned the boat for 20+years.
    Beach House-Hull#421

I just saw your question about costs. Florida Bow-thruster drove to MN, and did the instal for 50k. Like I said, it was not cheap, but for the way we use our boat, it was a great addition.
    Beach House-Hull#421