Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

A Hatt Sport Fish vs. the Open Consoles

This is an inquiry, since I will never own an "open console". However, I notice there now very large sized with massive v12 outboard Open Console boats on the market.

All great for high speed runs to the boon docks, in reasonable seas. However, how will they be in a big blow, which is when I would want to be in a Hatt, Bertram, Viking (ssshh), etc. Is that when the traditional sport fisherman will be appreciated?

Just askin'...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: A Hatt Sport Fish vs. the Open Consoles

Right now Hatteras is the only one not making one. Viking has their vallahalla line and Bertram has large center consoles too. Not my cup of tea but well liked by many

Quote Originally Posted by captcrunch View Post
    Right now Hatteras is the only one not making one. Viking has their vallahalla line and Bertram has large center consoles too. Not my cup of tea but well liked by many
    Will they highly stable like a sailboat, in two modes: rightside up and upside down. Maybe the Proctor will pull this remark!

When I made the move to Florida permanently I bought a center console for inshore fishing. Other than bottom fishing and kingfish I found the Hatt would outfish the CC by far. I think the noise and thru hub exhaust scares the fish especially billfish. Then there’s the problem of the outboards in the way when your fighting a fish. If you get caught in any kind of weather all that weight of the outboards hanging way back on the brackets is a bad deal in following seas. We were fishing off Marsh harbor in the Bahamas some years ago. We were in a fleet of about 10 boats working a pod of blue marlin in a area known as “the bridge”. It was pretty sloppy to the point the baits wouldn’t skip right if you trolled into or down sea. Either on the quarter or in the troughs was the only way to keep the baits in the water. Anyone who’s bluefished in New Jersey can appreciate the coordinations of trying to not run over other boats lines. Most of the boats were 50’+ prefishing the BBC but There was a 31 contender in the mix. At one point he turned down sea between me and a big Paul Mann. I see a larger maybe 8-9’ wave overtake him. Said to my son “his motors are going to drowned out” the outboards disappeared and the transom went completely under. Within seconds the only thing you could see was the bow sticking straight up and the guys coolers and stuff floating in the water. Luckily the guys on the Mann were right there and picked them up. I think about that every time I see one of these CC’s with giant multiple engines.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    This is an inquiry, since I will never own an "open console". However, I notice there now very large sized with massive v12 outboard Open Console boats on the market.

All great for high speed runs to the boon docks, in reasonable seas. However, how will they be in a big blow, which is when I would want to be in a Hatt, Bertram, Viking (ssshh), etc. Is that when the traditional sport fisherman will be appreciated?

Just askin'...
    If you're asking the question you probably already know the answer.
    To me Mother Nature is undefeated.
    And, anyone really trust the weather Man??????
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    If you're asking the question you probably already know the answer.
    To me Mother Nature is undefeated.
    And, anyone really trust the weather Man??????
    P.s., I really like your "meme" of your Convert running hard...!