Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

227 at boat meter but only 106 at outlets

I have 227 volt at the meter coming in at the boat but only 106 volt at the AC outlets? My Air Conditioners do not like this low voltage and the AC raw water pump died last night. With 227 volts coming in shouldn’t I be getting around 113.5 volts at the outlets, given the 227?
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Re: 227 at boat meter but only 106 at outlets

227 total and 125 on each leg, and 106 at the outlets??? This is ver odd. The GenSet, is sold at 240 volts, 120 on each leg, 120 at the outlets….what gives???
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    227 total and 125 on each leg, and 106 at the outlets??? This is ver odd. The GenSet, is sold at 240 volts, 120 on each leg, 120 at the outlets….what gives???
    That's not how it works. All has to do with transformer windings. You can have 208/120, 240/115, and more. The voltage between legs has nothing to do with a leg to neutral. There are even 208/120 systems with a high leg. The high leg is 208 to other hot as well as 208 to ground.

It does seem like you are on a 240/115 with all at a 5-6% under voltage overall. Is this your house or a marina?
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Are you plugged into 208v Three phase? If so, you will get 120v from any leg to neutral but not after it goes through your isolation transformer. Then you will get half on each leg, so 208v will give you 104v on any one leg.

This is why I put boost switches on my transformers.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Are you plugged into 208v Three phase? If so, you will get 120v from any leg to neutral but not after it goes through your isolation transformer. Then you will get half on each leg, so 208v will give you 104v on any one leg.

This is why I put boost switches on my transformers.
    It's like one equation 1 (utility transformer windings) affected by conditions of local power wires/condition/loading affecting equation 2 (vessel electric service configuration).

Suggestions can be made but only a knowledge of all 3 and a meter can anything be figured out.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

230Vac system Hatt and 115 Vac A/C units?
    Your A/Cs have low power errors?
    What ACv meter Setting are you using? RMS or P-P?
    Is this a new issue? New marina or slip?

Appreciate all the feedback. New Marina stay @ Safe Harbor North Palm Beach. We plugged in our BucBooster and it brought the power up to 240 volts at the Hatteras Switching Panel and we now have 120 volts at the outlet and sub panels. We use the BucBooster for our home marina (and others) where the pedestal is 208 volt. This is my first experience where I have come across a pedestal with 227 volts. We have stayed at other marinas where 220 volts at the pedestals is just fine.…just glad we got it worked out and new March Pump installed for Thanksgiving week. Our Air Conditioners and raw water pumps run on 120 volt. Shout out to BOW for having it readily available and in stock! So can our electrical guru’s explain this to me in laymen’s terms??? I see a few references to windings…. Thanks!
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Your OEM Hatteras isolation transformers can be configured to boost without the need for a separate boost transformer. They have different taps on the transformer that connect to different length windings which will give different voltages. But, they are not automatic, so you have to manually switch between the different taps. This gives you the opportunity to boost low voltage by 15% but also the chance of boosting normal voltage by 15% when you forget to switch back. Its not for everyone, but buying a simple rotary switch is much cheaper than a boost transformer. And its also easier than lugging around another transformer.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI