Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: The bilge goes dry. De-stinking?

Quote Originally Posted by bostonhatteras View Post
    Maybe I should dump a gallon of something in there before the ride home?

I don't know what I'd use other than my old Formula 88 degreaser which I use for everything. Any tips for a newly dry bilge and a sweeter smelling boat??
    The coast guard looks upon foamy bilges with considerable dismay. They see it as a method of dumping oil. probably best to clean it on the hard. Spray nine is the best I've used for nonpetroleum degreasers.[/QUOTE]

As an old Coastie with Captain of the Port experience (3 years pollution investigator) we never challenged someone for foamy bilges. That being said, I shop-vac'd my generator room bilge but first I dropped sorbent pads in to make sure there was no oil present. With the SimpleGreen trick, I haven't noticed any weird smells, other than mustiness but the generator room has benefitted from a lot of cleaning since I got rid of the CrusAir compressors.
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

So, I should spray the bilge down with degreaser to clean it. Then, I can spray it with used motor oil to knock down the foaminess and please the CG. Got it!

I'm looking forward to painting the entire bilge, from the stern to the bow, before it gets hot again. I bet the entire vessel will smell anew.
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Post Re: The bilge goes dry. De-stinking?

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    So, I should spray the bilge down with degreaser to clean it. Then, I can spray it with used motor oil to knock down the foaminess and please the CG. Got it!

I'm looking forward to painting the entire bilge, from the stern to the bow, before it gets hot again. I bet the entire vessel will smell anew.
    Haha... Honestly, I don't have an answer for you there. I ended up replumbing the generator room bilge pump/hose completely. Hatteras didn't install an anti-siphon, just a check valve. I replaced the valve AND included a new anti-siphon. But in the bilge I haven't had an odor problem since I resolved the sink drain hose issue. And I did it without used motor oil...
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwaldrop13 View Post
    The coast guard looks upon foamy bilges with considerable dismay. They see it as a method of dumping oil. probably best to clean it on the hard. Spray nine is the best I've used for nonpetroleum degreasers.
    As an old Coastie with Captain of the Port experience (3 years pollution investigator) we never challenged someone for foamy bilges. That being said, I shop-vac'd my generator room bilge but first I dropped sorbent pads in to make sure there was no oil present. With the SimpleGreen trick, I haven't noticed any weird smells, other than mustiness but the generator room has benefitted from a lot of cleaning since I got rid of the CrusAir compressors.[/QUOTE]

In seaschool they couldn't have reinforced this enough.

I don't personally have experience with this due to having a clean bilge with oil pads always present. however, the two times i was randomly boarded, they most certainly looked in the engine room and forward bilges