Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Boat moving in spring, hire captain to train me or for the whole trip?

Call Randy. He helped me move my 45 from New Bern to New Haven. Very capable and knowledgeable. We did a 4 day run. I'm 65 and have been boating for over 50 years. I could have managed on my own, but wanted some experienced talent on board, having never done the ditch before. I was very pleased.
    Last edited by Bob Bradley; 11-21-2021 at 11:53 PM.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Call Randy. He helped me move my 45 from New Bern to New Haven. Very capable and knowledgeable. We did a 4 day run. I'm 65 and have been boating for over 50 years. I could have managed on my own, but wanted some experienced talent on board, having never done the ditch before. I was very pleased.
    Thank you Bob, I am planning on doing just that. You mentioned New Haven, but what state?
    We have a New Haven up here in Michigan on Lake St. Clair!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

I think I know "of" that boat somewhat. You do not mention how large a "crew" will be on board for your maiden voyage; maiden to you that is.

Having now had a Hatt for over 20 years, here are my thoughts for that run.

Crew should include a "cook", to make coffee and feed the other crew members, while underway. Yes, at least one other Pilot, esp. at least one who understands this size boat and its operations, so you can spell each other for biological breaks, general rest, etc. At least one hand should help stand a "watch".

Depending on how late in the Spring you run, you need people with binoculars, to keep a lookout. I have three sets of glasses and they should be good ones. As you run, off of some ports, there are fishing boats to avoid. Also, running the Straits of Mackinaw will require watching for ferry boats, plus here is a ferry that runs between Bois Blanc Isle and Cheboygan. Finally, there are the Lakers and Salties, who will actually be as fast or faster than you, although they look slow, they are not.

You can schedule runs from 8-10 hours (less is up to you), but bear in mind, these run-times will be dependent on your desired Ports; distances will obviously vary, so your run-times will vary with the Port to Port distances. Convenient ports are Mack City, Cheboygan and Rogers City. Others are Tawas City and below, while on Lk Huron. But also, know your river ports for St Clair and Detroit Rivers. Yes, there are other ports, but which are out of the way, such as Charlevoix, Harbor Springs, or Bay City, but they are "sideways" runs several miles off your primary courses..

Fuel Stops should be verified per your ports. E.g., Mack City, only the Shepler Ferry dock sells diesel. Call ahead and verify Diesel is avail.

My apologies, since I am not intimately familiar with that boat, but I do not believe it has a true "radar". If not, then the extra eyes and ears are critical, to watch and listen for other craft! Also, it is critical you do not get caught a fog- and some can be the proverbial "pea-soup", in which you cannot see pass the bow of the boat. Without a radar, you will need a good set of GPS way-points plotted, in advance! Get at least one portable/hand-held GPS. Insert your "routes" into the GPS set, before your start your run. Install all the routes, including the safety routes, for the runs to unexpected ports. These way-points should not be "to" the actual "ports" or "Lighthouses", but should be the routes around them and just off them E.g., a 1/4 mile off a port, then the entrances to the ports. Note: A friend of mine ran a type of rescue boat operation. He said some operators installed the waypoints to reefs or lighthouse and actually ran into them; true!

I realize that the engines will have oil and filter changes. Note: Use only Straight-Wt 40 wgt oil. Easiest choices include Texaco Ursa or Detroit Diesel "1040". New impellers should be installed in the mains and gensets raw water pumps and the fuel filters should be new. I think there is a good DD tech working on that boat, so he should be able to confirm my remarks. Smart remark, I have never encountered a Female Diesel Tech- I anyone here has done so, please post!

Finally there are the seas! The Spring is a good time to run, as weather is usually calm. Fog can be an issue though.

Plan, plan, plan...
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 11-25-2021 at 12:45 AM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Thank you Bob, I am planning on doing just that. You mentioned New Haven, but what state?
    We have a New Haven up here in Michigan on Lake St. Clair!

Think "World's Best Pizza". That New Haven.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Don't buy fuel at Mac City. Scheplers is like the eviro-police. They watch for even a drip of fuel out of your vent. Cheboygan County dock has better diesel prices anyway and they aren't as uptight.

I would fill up at Onekema as they are usually competitive, then top off at Cheboygan, then maybe Port Sanilac. Look at the prices posted on waterwayguide.com or call ahead.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Don't buy fuel at Mac City. Scheplers is like the eviro-police. They watch for even a drip of fuel out of your vent. Cheboygan County dock has better diesel prices anyway and they aren't as uptight.

I would fill up at Onekema as they are usually competitive, then top off at Cheboygan, then maybe Port Sanilac. Look at the prices posted on waterwayguide.com or call ahead.
    Sky: Does not the Mack City Municipal Marina also sell Diesel. I am not sure why I defaulted to Shelpler's. My main point was to be that Mack Isle sells No Diesel.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    Sky: Does not the Mack City Municipal Marina also sell Diesel. I am not sure why I defaulted to Shelpler's. My main point was to be that Mack Isle sells No Diesel.
    Thank you everyone! and Happy Thanksgiving!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Think "World's Best Pizza". That New Haven.
    Well since NY has the best pizza I guess you must mean.
    New Haven, NY 13126

Didn't know you moved.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Well since NY has the best pizza I guess you must mean.
    New Haven, NY 13126

Didn't know you moved.
    Goodness gracious. There is a New Haven, IL and everyone knows that Chicago Style Pizza is tops!

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Goodness gracious. There is a New Haven, IL and everyone knows that Chicago Style Pizza is tops!

DAN
    Well, I am both surprised and saddened to learn that the good taste of this esteemed group apparently does not extend past boats. Kindly allow me to enlighten you.

Pizza.jpg

I shudder to consider what might be consumed beyond "Toxic".