Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Want TV reception while at the dock

There is a very knowledgeable couple on YouTube that have EXTENSIVE updated info on mobile connectivity options--they produce an updated video most weeks and have extensive info for free on their website. Great information there. We use a SIM card in a smart wifi router (PepWAVE brand) that can cascade seemlessly between wifi and cellular sources as your location changes. With the right high-gain antennas, we can generally feed the smart TVs on board. Also, we've learned to conserve bandwidth to avoid buffering and expensive cellular data by throttling the TV to standard def or Low definition, or when sharing scare wifi bandwidth with marina neighbors.

Google "Mobile Internet Resource Center" to get the latest on STARLink, mobile data plans and hardware.
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

Sat TV is cheaper than you think. Its like Sirius/XM; you just have to call and threaten to cancel every year and then the "real" pricing comes out. I get a $40/month bill credit on my Dish Network account.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have Starlink and it's wonderful, but it's about a 2 year wait now, so get on the list! It does not do robust in motion tracking but works great at the dock. You can easily screen mirror from your phone to your smart TV., and with Amazon Prime, SlingTV, or FUTV watch anything you like, no hotspot required.

Quote Originally Posted by 52CMY View Post
    There is a very knowledgeable couple on YouTube that have EXTENSIVE updated info on mobile connectivity options--they produce an updated video most weeks and have extensive info for free on their website. Great information there. We use a SIM card in a smart wifi router (PepWAVE brand) that can cascade seemlessly between wifi and cellular sources as your location changes. With the right high-gain antennas, we can generally feed the smart TVs on board. Also, we've learned to conserve bandwidth to avoid buffering and expensive cellular data by throttling the TV to standard def or Low definition, or when sharing scare wifi bandwidth with marina neighbors.

Google "Mobile Internet Resource Center" to get the latest on STARLink, mobile data plans and hardware.
    If you're talking about Technomadia, they're the Bible-writers on connectivity. However, there's also a couple in Puget Sound that live/work full-time while cruising on their Nordhaven 40. They installed an external 4G repeater antenna and booster system. Here's the links for their solution-
    Signal Booster - weBoost Drive Reach - Vehicle Cell Phone Signal Booster | 5G & 4G LTE | Magnetic Roof Antenna | Boosts All U.S. Carriers - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile | Made in the U.S. | FCC Approved (model 470154)
    by Amazon.com
    Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PDVTM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This is the external antenna they installed
    Wilson Electronics 9.88-inch 4G Wide Band Omni-Directional Marine Antenna w/ SMA Male Connector
    by Amazon.com
    Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01LVZUR...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

I installed the WeBoost on our RV and when there is not enough signal for LTE 4G etc. but there is weak strength, it can make the difference and has for us on a number of occasions. Trying to stream TV etc. can be challenging during peak hours of the day when carriers will throttle you.
    Regards
    Dan

Ran into this guy Saturday, only the 2nd Starlink Dishy I've seen on a boat. We chatted, and his experience has been like mine. Great at a dock, underway, not so much.
    Attached Images

Well I have been using my phones hot spot for my tv 2 years now and if I have 4G it works great. I have 20 gig a month when I use that I use the wifes phone that has 20 gig also.
    I have sprint that is now T-Mobile.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Pettigrewr View Post
    thank you all for the info.
    Tremendous amount of information here; lots of experienced and knowledgeable folks...

DAN

This last year I went with the Calyx Institute mobile router. It is true unlimited data. I traveled the Great Lakes extensively. As long as I was within 5 miles or so of shore I had full broadband connectivity. Most months I would average about 250gb or more. I stream a lot of music and watch Netflix every night at bedtime. The initial outlay of $750 for the first year includes the purchase of the router. Subsequent years is only $500/year. About $40/month. The system works off of both Sprint and T-mobile networks. I have as yet not had any trouble connecting.

Www.calyxinstitute.org
    Last edited by Phasma2128; 01-04-2022 at 09:01 AM.
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting