Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Want TV reception while at the dock

I purchased a "smart" tv but i'm not smart with internet technologies.
    I have internet on my smart phone and figured out how to create a wi-fi hotspot so the tv can get an internet signal thru the phone and "stream" video. Not good - keeps freezing or can't get signal.
    The over the air antenna that isn't any better (stations are over 50 miles away, on good days may get 3 channels). Please give any and all advice for alternatives to getting TV reception at the dock other than a $5k satellite dish or land based hard-wire cable.
    Thanks.
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    1965 50' Flushdeck Hull#9
    Houma, La.

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/im...ine=1599353347

Re: Want TV reception while at the dock

Look into Star link. It’s a Wi-Fi signal from space. Equipment cost 499.00 and a monthly cost of 99.00. It’s the future in WI-FI.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Starlink isn’t available for boats yet, some marinas allow adding antennas on pilings others don’t. Maybe it will work if the boat is tied tight enough.

But for use at a dock or near shore sat is an over kill. Cellular works very well for streaming but I ve found that using a phone as hot spot is too slow. Get a real access hotpot or a cellular modem/router. Netgear, craddlepoint etc have many models. I ve been using cell for years both in the Bahamas and here in the US
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

so does the cellular modem/router connect/use with my cellphone service data to provide better streaming video on my tv?
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    Houma, La.

No you will need a separate data account and SIM. Many providers have unlimited options for well under $100 a month

Ask, in my experiences smart TV software is clumsy and slow, although I haven’t bought a new TV in a couple of years. I much prefer using an AppleTV box. It experience with Amazon stocks etc. appleTV works really well
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

ok, I'm beginning to understand this now.
    So my options are: Traditional OTA outdoor antenna (limited local channels only)
    Dish or Direct TV mounted on a piling/dock (price hikes)
    Internet service with cellular modem/router (some limit data amounts)
    Auto tracking satellite antenna/dish (expensive hardware/subscription)
    T-mobile is offering home internet via cellular ($50/month) using their free equipment but limited availability/not available in my area yet.
    Did I leave anything out?
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    Houma, La.

I think that’s about it.

Sat TV has become way too expensive... $100 a month gets you a basic package. Add a few movie channels and you quickly close on $200 a month. I cancelled mine a few years ago and use appleTVs thru cell data. In fact, I have an HDMI transmitter/receiver so I can send signal from one of the sat receiver from the boat i run in the next slip and never use it. Streaming is so much more convenient.

One minor thing to be aware of though... a number of Online streaming service require having a cable or sat account to access their services online. If you have cable at home, it’s no problem

Note that if you have DirectTV at home, you can extra receivers on the boat for $9 a month each an enjoy the same sat package.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I can get it here in Northern California. Once they have all the satellites up and turned on it’s supposed to be world wide.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It isn't absolutely necessary to have a dish mounted on a pole. We placed one on a sheet of plywood and moved it around depending on where we were. Eventually we used a follow me tracking system and left it turned off while at the dock. If you have a soft top the dish will work if aimed through it. We had a hard top and were able to point the dish through the clear panels.
    Long spring lines kept the boat still enough while allowing movement for tide. YMMV.

Recently we have used DEX (Samsung smart phones or other Android) connecting a phone to a laptop and then projecting that to a TV (wifi connection between the laptop and TV).
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 11-20-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

thank you all for the info.
    "Lady Beatrice"
    Rob Pettigrew
    Houma, La.