Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hull repair

Re: Hull repair

Went through that about 7 years ago boat had sat on hard for 4 years so it was dry had it water sand blasted and had a thousand blisters got system 3 pre mixed epoxywith glass beads filled each hole and sanded and did it three more times then rolled a coat of west epoxy with slow hardner as it got tacky applied first barrier coat then 4 more and a cheap blue bottom paint as a marker to see when good black paint was wore thur lots of work but worth it.
    Bob

This is pretty typical for that age Hatteras. None of them have ever sunk from blisters, but a few bank accounts have probably taken on water from the repair process. I went through this with my '71 36C.

The usual repair is blasting to expose the blisters, prolonged drying preferably in the winter, fill and fair, then barrier coat and bottom paint.

Later Hatteras yachts used a resin called Glidden Blisterguard, I think, which was much better about not blistering.

My Hatteras was faired with Pettit VC Watertite, then sanded, then several coats of Interprotect, then bottom paint. It has held up nicely so far. She does get hauled out every winter, right around now, and stays out until April, which may have something to do with how long the repaired bottom has lasted.

When did Hatteras start using Blisterguard?