Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hull repair

Hull repair

I have been working on improving various things on a 1972 43DC that I have had for a couple of years now.

One that that bothers me, even though people say it is not of that much consequence, is that there is a 1/4" of bottom paint on the boat. It seems like they just through a couple of gallons on the boat every year for 10 or 20 years and never really did much past that.

In these 3 pictures, you can see the buildup, what it looked like after sanding and then pressure washing, and then the repair to the gelcoat and the occasional fiberglass patch of a few actual blisters.

To be continued...

AfterSanding.jpgBuildup.jpgRepaired.jpg
    Last edited by brettportzer; 11-18-2021 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Removed giant signature!

Re: Hull repair

Here is the starboard water line area after it was repaired and barrier coated.

This took a long time and I wasn't sure if my repairs would be adequate.

Two years later is appears the repairs are fine... Oh, I also did a lot of repair to that rail which has also held up.

To be continued...

SBSideBarrierCoat.jpg
    Last edited by brettportzer; 11-18-2021 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Removed giant signature!

Now, on to today, I am having the rest of the hull blasted, and it looks like for good reason as so far it seems like I have very little barrier coat left.

The blasting didn't remove my barrier coat, and there is not much evidence that there is any on most of the hull anymore and there are some repairs that are not barrier coated, as evidenced by these test blast areas.

I haven't seen the rest of the hull yet, I'll post some more pictures tomorrow...

StarboardHullBottom1.jpgStarboardHullBottom2.jpgTransomAboveTrimTab.jpg
    Last edited by brettportzer; 11-18-2021 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Removed giant signature!

Anyway, the question here is, is this a normal type of thing to find under there?

Planning to repair the same as the waterline area, in the spring, after it has sat after blasting for the winter.

Any advice otherwise?

Thanks!
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

I don’t see any barrier coat. All that I can see is the white gel coat that has blistered. Were the areas in the pictures sand blasted? You may want to blast with a finer media unless the plan is to pop the blisters in the gel coat. Hard to say from a picture but, the blaster is leaving the bottom rougher than hell. I would let the bottom then repair with an epoxy putty then apply 2 coats of a barrier coat then anti fouling.
    Last edited by dsharp; 11-18-2021 at 11:39 PM.

I am going through the same thing right now on my 48 Hatteras cmy. The survey showed blistering to the bottom. After blasting the bottom it was found that there was an attempt in the past to repair blisters. It was repaired with Bondo. A single coat of barrier coat and multiple layers of bottom paint. All previous and current blisters are being ground out and repaired with an appropriate polymer. 4 Coats of barrier coat are being applied and new bottom paint. Cost……..$15,000
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    I don’t see any barrier coat. All that I can see is the white gel coat that has blistered. Were the areas in the pictures sand blasted? You may want to blast with a finer media unless the plan is to pop the blisters in the gel coat. Hard to say from a picture but, the blaster is leaving the bottom rougher than hell. I would let the bottom then repair with an epoxy putty then apply 2 coats of a barrier coat then anti fouling.
    The first two posts are pictures from the starboard waterline section that I sanded down, pressure washed, repaired some actual blisters, faired (including all those gelcoat chips) and then barrier coated.

Those repairs survived the dustless sandblasting, while just the ablative being removed.

The last post was an example of what the blasting is showing on the rest of the hull, and a lot of it is similarly chipped.

Plan is to repair and fair and then barrier coat and then antifoul.

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma2128 View Post
    I am going through the same thing right now on my 48 Hatteras cmy. The survey showed blistering to the bottom. After blasting the bottom it was found that there was an attempt in the past to repair blisters. It was repaired with Bondo. A single coat of barrier coat and multiple layers of bottom paint. All previous and current blisters are being ground out and repaired with an appropriate polymer. 4 Coats of barrier coat are being applied and new bottom paint. Cost……..$15,000
    Survey in 2019 didn't show up and blisters and there really hasn't been much in that department, but mostly this gel coat chipping and a few previous repairs without barrier coat.

I hired out the blasting and will do the repairs myself, should be around $6k total.

Even the blasting guy is amazed at the buildup of paint on the underside, I definitely could not have removed it on my own, without that equipment.

My hull was sand blasted 9 years ago. 4 coats of barrier coat and 4 coats of bottom paint. Hauled out 5 years ago for bottom paint no issues. Just hauled out 2 weeks ago and found 2 bubbles the size of a quarter. Yard did the repair and added 4 coats of barrier coat to the patches and 4 coats of bottom paint. I’m a big fan of multiple coats of barrier coat to say the least.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Yea that is my thinking as well. There is no obvious barrier coating here.