Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Insurance for Canadian Boats

After getting a good survey with a few recomendations which are easy to fix my insurance provider has stopped my coveage. Its due to age, the boat is 1973, I have not had a claim in over 10 years. The survey came in at average to above average. I would appreciate it if any other Canadian owners with similar age boats let me know who they are using.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Re: Insurance for Canadian Boats

I don't know if Progressive covers Canada, but they covered my 1976 43 DC for half the price of Geico/Boat US and required no survey. Geico raised their NY prices by 70% this year. Was easy peasy, did online. If you try it, note the drop down only goes to something like 1983, but you can type your year into that field. Also, I don't think they will insure a pre-1983 boat for more then $40k.
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

If your boat is Canadian registered there is a Company in Barrie Ontario who may insure you, I had my 1979 43dc insured thro them, cannot remember the name but an internet search should find it, good luck.

Dennis, I contacted Northstar Insurance and sent them my survey. Im waitint to hear back, the quote was thae same as my previous one.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Dennis, I contacted Northstar Insurance and sent them my survey. Im waitint to hear back, the quote was thae same as my previous one.

Walt Hoover
    Walt,

If you don't mind naming them, which broker and insurance company were you with? My 47 Commander is a 1972 and I'm worried I may run into the same issue.

Thanks,

Warren
    Warren
    1973 Chris-Craft 47 Commander
    1994 Sea Ray Laguna 16SC
    (wannabe Hatteras owner)

Hi Walt,

I have "Skippers Plan" (skippersplan.com) from Gallagher Canada 1-800-661-7211.

I have had them for 12 years and have had one claim. It was settled to my satisfaction and their rates are fair. I would not hesitate to recommend them to you.

Hope this helps.

Mark
    lake of the woods
    1989 40 DC series 1

X2 on Sklipper's Plan
    Gary
    1984 53' MY Hull #625
    "JACE"

My oriiginal broker war MD Marine insurance in Orrillia. I had been with them for 25 years. I had one claim eight years ago when I sucked up a bag and melted the o rings in a wet liner engine. The new broker is Northstar Marine in Barrie, very good communication back and forth with the agent. The premium is the same price. I just had a survey completed, MD wanted one every 5 years because of the age. What I don't understand is that the underwriter is exactly the same, Nautimax/Aviva. I'm happy to have this resolved so quickly but MD should have just told me that thay were unwilling to continue coverage because of age when my policy was due in late August and I would have done it then. I will be doing the best I can to tell everyone in my yacht club to rethink using MD.

Walt Hoover