Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: I've wanted a Hatt MY since I was a kid. Finally closed on one today!

Nice ride! Good luck with it!
    Regards
    Dan

Congratulations we’ve had out 50c for 45 years.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The boat overall has been very well kept and is extremely original for better or worst. The previous owner was really proud of that. Personally when the cabin and bathroom mirrors have bad edges it's taking the originality a little too far. It has been converted to vacuflush and updated AC but cosmetically it's a purist.

I'm very active in classic cars, and I know originality is important. On certain cars tired original interior is better than perfect restored interior. I also know people don't collect Motor Yachts like C3 vettes. I have no plans of selling this boat, and plan on keeping it longer than the previous owner before me, but certain areas of the cabin are pretty obsolete. For starters the Lucy and Desi twin bed layout in the master stateroom.

The only thing I wanna change in the galley is the appliances(yes it'll be a pain). it has the original brown push button stove, refrigerator has been changed with some basic looking white one. The rest of it I like and appreciate the 60's charm. Like my working Wood Freeman Metal Marine auto pilot.

Any advice on master stateroom layout or other threats where people have done some restro mods updating?

Many thanks,
    Capt. Mitch

You're right that this isn't like classic cars- originality may mean something in a vintage wooden runabout, but in our boats it does not. Do what you want to make the boat comfortable and safe for you and your family.

A lot of folks on this forum have done extensive refits of their Hatteras yachts (and some other makes as well). If you search around a bit, you'll find those threads.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    You're right that this isn't like classic cars- originality may mean something in a vintage wooden runabout, but in our boats it does not. Do what you want to make the boat comfortable and safe for you and your family.

A lot of folks on this forum have done extensive refits of their Hatteras yachts (and some other makes as well). If you search around a bit, you'll find those threads.
    That makes me feel better. Buying and selling classic cars for the last 15 years it's hard wired into my brain that its a bad thing changing something that's 53 years old and in still in very good shape. If it was a car it would be an atrocity.

The biggest headache will be changing the layout for the master stateroom. I purchased my Carver 440 Aft Cabin with smoke damage, and did a full refit myself. With that build I learned more about veneer then I ever wanted to know, so the wood wont be a problem. I'm not looking forward to relocating the Wood Freeman magnetic compass for the antique auto pilot that I wanna keep.

look at boats like yours on yachtworld to get ideas of what modifications you may want to do
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    look at boats like yours on yachtworld to get ideas of what modifications you may want to do
    I just signed up with them today actually.

A lot of 53’s were converted from twins to a queen, our 53 had a centerline queen that we converted to a calif. King. On the 50 you won’t have room for a king but plenty of room for a queen. They need to run athwartships on a 50 due to the way the steering system was installed. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Good luck with the new (to you) boat.

Like the name Capt Mitch.
    Been known as the same for years.

Got to Lake of the Ozarks 3 years ago for the shoot outs.
    Fun place.
    My buddy who has a cabin and runabout, dock thinks its the perfect place to retire to.

Mitch
    Mitch Cohen Wilmington Ca75 YachtFish48YF363

Quote Originally Posted by Flymitch View Post
    Good luck with the new (to you) boat.

Like the name Capt Mitch.
    Been known as the same for years.

Got to Lake of the Ozarks 3 years ago for the shoot outs.
    Fun place.
    My buddy who has a cabin and runabout, dock thinks its the perfect place to retire to.

Mitch
    Thank you very much. I envision owning this boat for decades to come. It checks all my boxes and I don't foresee me wanting to down grading in boat and acquiring a payment.

Next time you're out my way, hit me up. I own a charter business, I'm always on the water, and my wife and I always enjoy networking and meeting new people.

I'm in your backyard currently. I'm visiting my grandparents on Oak Island, NC. He's a retired Sergeant Major, so even a 90 there's a lot of me keeping up with pool shooting and drinking.
    Last edited by Capt Mitch; 11-19-2021 at 09:18 AM.