Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Winterizing 8V71Ti’s

I have been hiring this out for 4yrs and it’s time I take over. How do folks here do it and I’m not talking about taking it to warmer waters. Some guys I see have rigged up a cap for the inboard strainers, some go thru the zinc port on HX and some hose up somewhere on the raw water pump.
    I haven’t asked my guy how he does it but he “I think” starts them for whatever reason. I have ok access to both strainers from the hallway so was thinking about the cap thing just for convenience.
    I’m open to all suggestions and tips.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Winterizing 8V71Ti’s

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    I have been hiring this out for 4yrs and it’s time I take over. How do folks here do it and I’m not talking about taking it to warmer waters. Some guys I see have rigged up a cap for the inboard strainers, some go thru the zinc port on HX and some hose up somewhere on the raw water pump.
    I haven’t asked my guy how he does it but he “I think” starts them for whatever reason. I have ok access to both strainers from the hallway so was thinking about the cap thing just for convenience.
    I’m open to all suggestions and tips.
    Must ask: In or out of the water? On the hard?
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

On the hard.

I expected a few responses

Before you pull, Strip test the engines coolant and ensure it is up to required protection strength.
    Same for gen-set(s).
    When the yard does pull you, have them raise the bow a lil extra to ensure the dump cans and exhaust drains the last bit of water.
    Close the shutdown flappers, open the raw water pump cover, drain all strainers.
    Red tag the engine controls that the flappers are closed.
    Find a cheap foot ball, fender or soccer ball that will fit in your exhaust outlet snugly. Maybe a tennis ball for the gen-set.
    Use oil-sorb sheets and blue tape and restrict your air intake boxes.
    On those nights when you know it is going to freeze hard, if you can, turn on a 60w trouble light in the engine room, low between the engines.
    Make a spring time check list now to ensure all you do, is un-done in the spring.

Like it was mentioned in another thread, check your batteries and charger.

Hope this helps.