Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 53MY Repower

Re: 53MY Repower

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Omg, C12.9, C7.1, C8.7 are rebranded FPT engines with some CAT modifications sold and serviced thru the CAT dealer network.
    CAT C18, C32 and C32B are the current Caterpillar manufactured Tier 3 available engines.

Some of the older CAT non Tier 3 engines may be available for certain situations/installs.

Btw, my CAT mechanic is telling me C12.9 is now good to go, CAT apparently has addressed all the early issues.
    Didn't get any info on the smaller engines.
    I thought the Iveco marine diesels (FPT) had the best power curve when I was digging deep...but that was about a dozen years ago.

The thing is, the Iveco brand was selling for about 20% less than the Cats. So, that's a lot of $ for a different name badge stuck on there. Yeah, I know there are some differences and service, etc etc. But still.....it's even called "C13" in the Iveco lineup. The C13-770s are where I'd look first for my 52C if disaster strikes.
    https://www.dieselmarine.com/Fpt-Iveco/Fpt-Iveco.cfm
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Enclosed shafts?? No way. This is going to be kept simple/traditional.
    . I thought the c/v joint would be a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    . I thought the c/v joint would be a benefit.
    Its already a tight fit for length. No way would I have room for the C/V.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

What gearing are you going with ?

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    What gearing are you going with ?
    Staying with 2:1 reduction. These are 2300rpm engines.
    Sky Cheney

Have you finished your repower project ? How were the results ?

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Have you finished your repower project ? How were the results ?
    Dying to hear that myself. This thing should really get up and go with that much power.

We are waiting on the new struts. In the mean time, I have pulled all of the old wiring, installed the new 12v battery banks and charger, and I'm currently working on the new helm layouts. At the current rate of progress, I'm thinking it will be June before we sea trial.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    We are waiting on the new struts. In the mean time, I have pulled all of the old wiring, installed the new 12v battery banks and charger, and I'm currently working on the new helm layouts. At the current rate of progress, I'm thinking it will be June before we sea trial.
    Figured I'd bump this one to the top and ask how's it coming? Super interested in your performance numbers, I think you may have the fastest 53 ever with that much power. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Figured I'd bump this one to the top and ask how's it coming? Super interested in your performance numbers, I think you may have the fastest 53 ever with that much power. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    No real update yet. Struts just arrived on Friday. We have a ton of work yet to do. But its getting closer.
    Sky Cheney