Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 53MY Repower

Re: 53MY Repower

You should be able to cruise @ 20kts!

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    You should be able to cruise @ 20kts!
    That is the goal. We'll see where we end up.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Was there something wrong with the Detroits or you just wanted more power? Which I can totally understand.

That's an interesting engine- has a 'radial supercharger", which I'm assuming is a centrifugal blower. This doesn't look related to any of the Cat engines I've seen before.

They are bound to be lighter than the DDs that came out, which will get you some speed as well. Can you stick with your old shaft size or do you have to go up?

I wonder if the blower can be turned off for trolling or economy at hull speed. Servicing both of the filters seems a bit challenging.
    Regards
    Dan

I had 5000hrs on the 6v92's so it was time to do something. There is very little weight savings, maybe 600lbs total. The super charger is clutch driven. It disengages at higher RPM so that it is not a parasitic drain once the turbo spools up. So the torque is pretty consistent throughout the RPM range.

Since only tier 3 emission engines can be sold now, Cat can't sell the C12 and a few others in the US market so they partnered with FPT for the C8.7 and C12.9 engines.
    Sky Cheney

Interesting.. someone else had a similar design, with a supercharger that freewheeled when the turbo boost came up. Might have been Volvo- I can't recall.

Very keen to see the photos and the performance numbers on this.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Interesting.. someone else had a similar design, with a supercharger that freewheeled when the turbo boost came up. Might have been Volvo- I can't recall.

Very keen to see the photos and the performance numbers on this.
    Volvo did have that starting years ago. Not sure if used on its big engines.
    I remember this set up on stern drive installs. We always recommended the real VP techs to only work on them.

And yes, we are increasing shaft size from 2" to 2.5"

I'm dropping off the struts to the shop to use as patterns to make the new ones. They did this same job for another forum member when he installed 3:1 reduction gears in his 53ED.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I had 5000hrs on the 6v92's so it was time to do something. There is very little weight savings, maybe 600lbs total. The super charger is clutch driven. It disengages at higher RPM so that it is not a parasitic drain once the turbo spools up. So the torque is pretty consistent throughout the RPM range.

Since only tier 3 emission engines can be sold now, Cat can't sell the C12 and a few others in the US market so they partnered with FPT for the C8.7 and C12.9 engines.

How can they sell in the US ?