Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bow/V-berth stateroom hatch

Looking for some advice/recommendations. I have a persistent leak in the V-berth hatch on the bow. I tried covering the vent alone and that did not make any difference. I covered the entire hatch and leak did not recur. We're expecting rain the next couple of days so plastic is staying in place. The hinge is actually on the flat rim of the hatch opening and fastened to the inside of the hatch cover. I noticed on a few different boats the hinge was located on the outside so all components were vertical. Anyone else had a similar issue, and if not, where is your hinge located on the hatch? I think I need to relocate the hinge to outside of hatch/rim and position it vertically, bedding hardware. Otherwise I am considering rebedding entire hinge with butyl tape.

Thoughts?

20211104_135912.jpg
    "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Re: Bow/V-berth stateroom hatch

My hinge is on the AFT side. I did have a leak when we got the boat and replaced the hatch to deck seal, no rainwater leak any more. I do keep a canvas cover on at all times too just to double up the protection.

Bow FWD 2.jpg
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Sams has the proper weather strip to make it like new. You'll also need the 3M adhesive to stick on. Did mine a few years ago and its been leak free.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Black-...3&gclsrc=3p.ds
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

[QUOTE=SKYCHENEY;403824]Sams has the proper weather strip to make it like new. You'll also need the 3M adhesive to stick on. Did mine a few years ago and its been leak free.

Thanks - The issue seems to be that the leak is coming thru from the screws in the wood frame in the stateroom, but nothing is coming thru in the hatch where I can feel it. It's also showing up at the front corner of the hatch, not at the back where the hinge is. It's one of those "how the... is the water coming out there?" scenarios. Looks like I will be lifting the hatch off to glass the current hinge location, installing hinge bedded with butyl tape on the outside.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Quote Originally Posted by dar636 View Post
    My hinge is on the AFT side. I did have a leak when we got the boat and replaced the hatch to deck seal, no rainwater leak any more. I do keep a canvas cover on at all times too just to double up the protection.

Attachment 54225
    Thanks - I actually replaced the weatherstrip around the hatch/deck without success in stopping the leak. It seems to be coming thru the deck structure and dripping around the screws in the wooden frame underneath. I think I may be looking at rebedding the hinge, but it's not a weatherstripping issue.

Rob Waldrop
    M/V Pau Hana
    Ft Myers FL

Have you repaired?*

Mine has a leak also but it’s coming from the glass panel. I removed, cleaned and recaulked last spring and it still leaks so that’s another job for next season.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Any soft spots around the hatch? Might be coming in thru a crack somewhere in the deck and running thru the balsa until it's finding an exit..
    Hopefully it's just a gasket.
    Last edited by Cricket; 11-15-2021 at 08:36 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E