Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Appraisal Values on Old Girls Who Have Had Work Done

I am nearing the point where I am seriously looking to buy– less than 24 months until retirement. My wife and I have been discussing how much to spend on older Hatts (late 70s to mid-80s)? We have $300k and don’t mind buying a boat in that range that requires less upfront beautification/maintenance costs. However, we are seeing current listings for 54’ to 63’ Hatts ranging anywhere from the low $100K to $300K+. And of course, we both have our own ideas of what we want in our first live aboard boat. She is all about the aesthetically pleasing and modern comfort aspects and I am on the structurally and mechanically sound side…The question that recently came up is whether those higher priced boats are appraising high enough to cover the agreed upon values with insurance companies. Does anyone have any insight on this matter?
    Ty Lewis
    In Decent Seas
    1970 Chris Craft Commander 55
    HIN: FAA-55-0001 DD 8V-71 NA
    Kent Island, MD

Re: Appraisal Values on Old Girls Who Have Had Work Done

Use a surveyor that is familiar with older Hatteras Yachts. You should be fine.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I may have missed the boat, pun intended, but all of the insurance companies I have had would only insure me for what I paid for the boat. I got her when the market was down and did alot of work improving things. Recent survey said it is worth almost twice what I paid but there was no offer to insure me for more from the new company.

Last year I was able to increase my covered value by a significant amount. I provided receipts to prove the value increase I was requesting. That included some of the work that arose from findings on the survey.
    Last edited by Sadey; 11-05-2021 at 06:47 AM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale