Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Exterior wood work question

Live in FL now. But was in Connecticut for several boating years . But based on experience understand how to get things done.

Don't miss it though! Do miss the dock parties and raft ups. None of that down here.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I took off my rails from the side door forward. About 28’ if memory serves me. I took the old craz cracked varnish off to bare wood. I took them off because the bottom sides of the rails looked worse than the top sides. Most of the old green screws broke off and had to be drilled out and plugged. I bleached the wood and applied 2 sealer coats and 10 varnish coats. They look like a piece of furniture. All new polished screws and also polished the stanchions. It was worth the work.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I took off my rails from the side door forward. About 28’ if memory serves me. I took the old craz cracked varnish off to bare wood. I took them off because the bottom sides of the rails looked worse than the top sides. Most of the old green screws broke off and had to be drilled out and plugged. I bleached the wood and applied 2 sealer coats and 10 varnish coats. They look like a piece of furniture. All new polished screws and also polished the stanchions. It was worth the work.
    I didn't think about taking them off, I figured they were to long to carry in my truck.
    How long are the sections?

They look awesome, did you spray them or brush them? Is there any significant time savings or improvement in quality from spraying? If I took them off I have space to work on them and could spray if there is some advantage in doing that.
    Last edited by Bob Quinn; 11-11-2021 at 06:19 AM.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Our railings are in decent shape, but I am thinking to do something along these lines in the next year or so.

One question I have is, ours are somewhat bumpy, for lack of a better term, and I assume that that is from uneven hand sanding, without a block or something.

Hoping that can be somewhat straightened out during this process.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    One question I have is, ours are somewhat bumpy, for lack of a better term, and I assume that that is from uneven hand sanding, without a block or something.
    Our wood tech used old air file pads. Near 18" long. Sand paper from an auto re-finish shop.
    That took a while but really got the high spots down and flat mirror reflections.

I have an old pad from a 1/3 sheet electric sander that works well also. I do not have the arm endurance to push the larger pad.