Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exterior wood work question

I know the norm is to refinish and varnish and repeat every few years.

Is it possibly to do something like a thick polyurethane coating that would "last much longer" or is that just not feasible? I'm thinking like what you see on some restaurant tables where they have a very thick coating. I'm guessing with moisture issues that is not possible, just thought I would ask
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

2. Re: Exterior wood work question

Cetol teak followed by Cetol clear..Easy to apply and maintain. Varnish is a myth!

Re: Exterior wood work question

The thick table coatings are epoxy. UV light is the issue. Varnish looks great but to get longer lasting results that look the same you can go with Imron MS1 Clear or Awlwood by Awlgrip.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Awlwood. Not cheap, but lasts and lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Awlwood. Not cheap, but lasts and lasts.
    time is money, if that is the longest lasting that is what I will (attempt) to use!
    It looks like I will have to figure out how to do it myself, can't find anyone to do it for me.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Awlwood is not difficult to use. Any AwlGrip product has good directions. Follow them and you'll be fine. Doing test areas on scraps with the various stains is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    time is money, if that is the longest lasting that is what I will (attempt) to use!
    It looks like I will have to figure out how to do it myself, can't find anyone to do it for me.
    This is what I had to do. I have exterior wood on slider door, door trim, aft window trim, freezer top, sink inserts, and the bow pulpit trim. All were starting to show light spots, about to go south. So with no responses and no shows I did it myself.

Honestly the hardest part is prep for your first coat. I did initial 3 coats. Now once a year I sand with 220, add a coat, and then a second within specified time of first coat application so I don't have to sand again. Between tape, sanding, cleaning, tack cloth wiping I spend 2-3 hours. The coats don't take long to apply. Use high quality brushes! Once 2nd coat is on I carefully pull off any tape.

My work is as good as anything I have paid for before. Also each year with the sanding and adding coats it gets better looking.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

A tip for everyone who decides to use varnish. Strain the varnish and pour it into a plastic tub. Put the varnish in a microwave oven for about a minute until it gets really warm. You will find it flows like water and you will have absolutely no bubbles. When you wipe your brush off on the edge the bubbles dissolve back into the Varnish.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

How does ALWOOD compare to the IMRON MS1 clear ?

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    How does ALWOOD compare to the IMRON MS1 clear ?
    No idea. I have only ever sprayed the MS1
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI