Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: engine hours

engine hours

Looking at 54 my. Reported to have 700 hrs smoh. Problem, no documentation. Done 2009, 2 owners ago.
    Boat Documented. Any way to find owner in 2009, or some type of OH documentation?

Re: engine hours

Quote Originally Posted by wmassey9 View Post
    Looking at 54 my. Reported to have 700 hrs smoh. Problem, no documentation. Done 2009, 2 owners ago.
    Boat Documented. Any way to find owner in 2009, or some type of OH documentation?
    I am sad to report the old documentation pages that used to show previous boat names and owners is no more.
    Maybe the abstract of title can still show the previous owner. That you have to apply for.

I doubt that the rebuilding shop (if known) would keep notes that far back.

IMO, No data; Not to be banked on.
    A thorough engine survey may prove a better engine status than some report of a rebuild, even if it was rebuilt.

Agreed with above. I would suggest to have a specific engine survey completed. A good engine survey will a help determine what might have been completed, but more importantly, what shape the engine are in now.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    Agreed with above. I would suggest to have a specific engine survey completed. A good engine survey will a help determine what might have been completed, but more importantly, what shape the engine are in now.
    but more importantly, what shape the engines are in now.

Needed to be repeated.

When I bought my boat same situation. The PO died and his widow knew nothing about it. He owned several GM dealerships and word was, and verified after I bought (ran into someone that worked for him as an accountant), he ran all the repairs through the dealerships. Everyone said they had been rebuilt but no one had papers. I elected to hire a mechanic to do a mechanical survey. Everything checked out that the engines were strong with 3400HRs on them but even the mechanic couldn't say for sure if they were rebuilt. He said they had been worked on but he couldn't say what was replaced. As Ralph said what are they like now. Rings can stick from sitting up, etc. Lack of use can be worse then running them.

It would be nice to have all that old information, but if it isn't available, a thorough survey of the engines and drive systems will tell you what you need to know. Which is: how would these engines perform, going forward. No pun intended.