Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Does anyone have an idea what an extended swim platform might cost for a 53' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Had a friend in the fabrication business build one out of aluminum for my 41. Can't remember what I paid for it, but it was very reasonable. I would go aluminum first, fiberglass second and wood a distant third, unless you just want more maintenance to keep up with on your boat.
    Any pictures? How did you coat it paint or? I'm guessing left raw it would get oxidation?

Maybe an option for me, as I can weld and fabricate and do machining myself, I just can't picture how it would be constructed...
    Last edited by Bob Quinn; 10-30-2021 at 03:55 PM.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Does anyone have an idea what an extended swim platform might cost for a 53' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Any pictures? How did you coat it paint or? I'm guessing left raw it would get oxidation?

Maybe an option for me, as I can weld and fabricate and do machining myself, I just can't picture how it would be constructed...
    I’ll try to find some pics, but I first had it powder coated. Two problems there, it didn’t even come close to matching the original color (not sure who screwed that up) and it was too slick. Ended up having it painted with a non-skid finish.

I honestly can’t remember if it was framed with tubing or channel, but they used my old, fiberglass over wood platform as a template.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Bob I'll take a photo of it today when Im there doing my winterizing.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Bob I'll take a photo of it today when Im there doing my winterizing.

Walt Hoover
    Thanks Walt!

Heres mine Bob. Please pardon the mess, I was climbing on and off all day. Two payers of PVC with a third layer around the sides and aft edge to give it a thicker look. If doing it again the slots would be more narrow, the wide slots can be a little uncomfortable on the feet.20211101_172609.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Heres mine Bob. Please pardon the mess, I was climbing on and off all day. Two payers of PVC with a third layer around the sides and aft edge to give it a thicker look. If doing it again the slots would be more narrow, the wide slots can be a little uncomfortable on the feet.Attachment 54174
    Walt that looks great! What did you use to glue the layers together?

7. Re: Does anyone have an idea what an extended swim platform might cost for a 53' ?

Marine Liquidators in Ft. Pierce had some big fiberglass swim platforms in stock, the last time I was there.
    Last edited by Retired1; 11-02-2021 at 06:03 PM.

I have a 58 MY, Basically the same boat as the 53. I had a platform made out of Starboard, 2 3/4 in pieces bolted together. It was done by Boat Outfitters in Orland area. I made a plywood template, which they used to layout, cut , assemble. It was all done on their C and C cutting equipment. I would be surprised if they do not still have the file. It was $2500.00, I had 5 brackets made local to the boat. I think they were $1000, all in. For us it worked out great..

ken

Here is a picture of the one we had made. John
    Attached Images
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Here is a picture of the one we had made. John
    Very sharp the hoops are nice too. Especially for the over indulgers!