Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Clogged thru hulls on my AC's....

Having real problems with seaweed and grass in my AC strainers AND thru hulls. Particularly the thru hulls. We're cruiising down in the Keys and I suspect Alberto plays a role in this new abundance of grass everywhere. Nontheless I'm cleaning these suckers almost every day to keep 'em operating and it's a royal PITA. ... Question: since I'm having such a problem with grass caught in the thru hull (often the sea strainers are almost clear), would something like a plumber's "snake" work well for getting all the way thru to the seacock and pushing the grass back out the opening? This could save a lot of time and effort disconnecting fittings. And a second question: if my flextubing from strainer to seacock is 3/4", what's the max diameter for the snake I should plan on to fit the valve opening? Or is there a better way I'm not thinking of?

Re: Clogged thru hulls on my AC's....

I use a coat hangar on mine.

Mine clogged every few hours the last couple of months. Finally I went over the side and realized the "vent" that covered the intake was no longer there. With a new intake cover the incredible abundance of grass down here is no longer a problem.

So check over the side.

Bruce

Hmmm, interesting... Bruce, I currently don't have the covers or vents (as you described them). I was advised by a couple of fairly knowledgable guys not to put the vents on because they said the vents are attractive sites for barnacle build up inside the vents and here in Florida it takes little time for that to happen. But you're in Fl. and obviously you're not having a problem with barnacles. Right?

Do you mind me asking how often you use your boat and how often you're out on the hook or otherwise exposed to grass or seaweed?

4. Re: Clogged thru hulls on my AC's....

I always had slotted covers on my AC inlets, and it helps a LOT.

Never had trouble with barnacles inside the through-hull area - but I made a practice of pulling the covers and painting the surfaces inside when I was out.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

The vents are painted with anti-fouling paint. The boat gets a monthly diver visit so maybe that is part of the equation.

As for use, about 400 hours a year underway and even more dock cruising. I run the a/c's from May to November almost non-stop both underway and at home. I do get little muscles in the a/c raw water strainer that require disassembly and cleaning every few months

6. Re: Clogged thru hulls on my AC's....

If you shut off the AC at night (or at least for a few hours a day) then the little critters (before they get to visible sizes) will die from asphyxiation (the water in the loop/strainer/etc goes hypoxic quick from all the "stuff" in there naturally decaying) and voila! - no problem.

If your pump runs whether the compressor is cycled on or not this doesn't work of course, nor does it if you have actual A/C demand (and its powered up) 24x7.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Genesis, Freestyle, thanks on the vent covers. Definitely will give 'em a try. Like immediately.

8. Re: Clogged thru hulls on my AC's....

At the moment I have a bit of a clog between the clamshell and the A/C strainer. I went over the side and cleaned the shell out best I can, there ARE barnicles inside it along with who knows what...
    I have tried backflushing but my strainer is a horizontal mount so I cannot stick anything down thru the tube. The diver is due out this week (which means he MIGHT actually show up in a week or so). I have a good amount of flow so am not in danger of burning up the units.
    The question is, my plan is to replace the strainer with a vertical mounted one as I need to get into it weekly during the summer and the one I have now drains into the bilge when I open it.
    Is this a case for when I'm looking for the new one that "bigger is better" or should I replace the old with one of the same size?
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

the slotted clamshell does a god job keeping some things out but i still have to empty the strainer every 4 to 6 weeks... it's sometimes 1/2 full...

if you don't have the clamshell, then the weeds will get straight into the strainer... i don't see how the strainers could be clean and the grass stuck outside in the TH. so you have to go overboard every day ?

did you try poking in with a screw driver or something ? it soudnd like you have something in there that's catchign the seaweed before it gets to the strainer... if you have no scoop/clamshell, it shoudl be easy to do.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

we have the large rectangular pickup with small holes in it. weeds cant go through. there are larger relief holed drilled in the rear to reduce pressure when under way. You may try to change to this type of pick up next time it is out of the water.