Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Boarding ladder suggestions?

I have a 7 step marquipt one and it works well. My other boat has a 6 step and it works well. If you tie up primarily on floating docks, go longer. If fixed docks, go shorter. The longer ones when the tide is low on a fixed dock will extend until they block the dock. The shorter ones on low floating docks get to be almost like a vertical ladder, defeating the point.

They’re all kind of a pain in the ass, personally I just climb up the swim platform ladder and jump down to the dock when we get back. For guests who a lot of times have little to no boating experience, getting on and off the dock when a patch of water is visible underneath is panic-inducing. The stairs fix that, none of them have an issue with those up.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    I have a 7 step marquipt one and it works well. My other boat has a 6 step and it works well. If you tie up primarily on floating docks, go longer. If fixed docks, go shorter. The longer ones when the tide is low on a fixed dock will extend until they block the dock. The shorter ones on low floating docks get to be almost like a vertical ladder, defeating the point.

They’re all kind of a pain in the ass, personally I just climb up the swim platform ladder and jump down to the dock when we get back. For guests who a lot of times have little to no boating experience, getting on and off the dock when a patch of water is visible underneath is panic-inducing. The stairs fix that, none of them have an issue with those up.
    Thank you CWW
    I just got a call from that place, not sure what "starts at $1995" but their 6 step is $2995
    Ultimately I guess I have to know what my docking situation is before determining exactly what I need.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Sailorman always has a few.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    Thank you CWW

Ultimately I guess I have to know what my docking situation is before determining exactly what I need.
    And what do you do at other ports? Your docking situation will change everywhere you travel. You need to at least carry a ladder what will reach the lowest docks.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI