Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boarding ladder suggestions?

Looking for a boarding ladder, looking for suggestions please?

Thank you!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Re: Boarding ladder suggestions?

Sailorman in Fort Lauderdale has a number of stairs and ladders right now.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Marquipt aluminum. Light weigh, durable, folds flat for cruising. There is an almost new one on eBay right now. $1,400. 6 step works great for the 53’ers.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Marquipt aluminum. Light weigh, durable, folds flat for cruising. There is an almost new one on eBay right now. $1,400. 6 step works great for the 53’ers.

I see there is a 6 stair and an 8 chair on there. I will have to see what the range of height is. Probably o.k. but water has been high around the great lakes lately. Many places last summer had water over the docks!

Our docks all float so the 6 step is perfect.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Marquip also makes a straight-up and down ladder as well. This is helpful if you are on a narrow dock because otherwise the wheels on the stair can go over the edge, catch and break off. For the up-and-down one you want to tie and fender off the dock carefully so it does not get crushed or scrape your hull. If you get an extra long one it can function as swim ladder on the side as well. We carry one of each.

I have read of the angled top for the stair but I don't recall ever having inspected one.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I have a 7 step Marquipt on my 60’ and it has worked at most marinas on the lower half of Lake Michigan for the last two years. We get lazy and use the sea ladder if it’s a short stay so having both is crucial I feel.

A friend just bought the angle platform and it works very well. I would suggest having Marquipt set it up to be able to have the removable railing stanchions. The gap is intimidating.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Thank you for all the input, sounds like a 6 step is probably the way to go.
    I think I might be smart and wait until I know where I will have it docked in the spring.
    I could end up at a skinny dock or a tall river wall dock etc. and that might make a difference in which style is best. Maybe wherever we end up might have a built in stairway who knows.
    Being this is all new to me my mind is swimming with all the things to do!
    I guess I need to keep gathering info on everything I need to do and try not to jump the gun, or I will have all my "upgrade" money spent before Christmas LOL.

These appear to start at $1995 for 6 step models, much better pricing and look good

https://www.newwavefab.com/tide-rider-stairs/

They say tide-rider, but are they or is that name just used like "Kleenex"

Also does anyone know the deck height to waterline on a 53 mid ship where you put the boarding ladder?