Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 28 x 30 Propellers 2" bore -4 blade -LH & RH

These are all sold.

Repower props are 30x28 Dynaquads
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    These are all sold.

Repower props are 30x28 Dynaquads
    Is that prop size just a starting point? You kept the same gears right? Won't she be under-propped if you are going from 430shp to 600hp+ and you're within an inch or two of your original size? That's a large increase in power.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Is that prop size just a starting point? You kept the same gears right? Won't she be under-propped if you are going from 430shp to 600hp+ and you're within an inch or two of your original size? That's a large increase in power.
    New gears. Same ratio. That's the starting point. Its a long story, but here is the results before dialing it in. Hit 22kts but more work to do yet.

Sky Cheney

That is impressive! Do the new motors turn higher rpm's?
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

5. Re: 28 x 30 Propellers 2" bore -4 blade -LH & RH

Still have a second set of wheels for sale? 28x30 Dyna quads?

All spare props are sold.

New engines should turn 2300 loaded.

New wheels are 4 blade.

So, here is the bad news. I bought the engines and gears from the local Cat dealer. We all thought these were 2:1 reduction gears. Everything was engineered around this. Now, we all know these are 1.5 to one gears and I can only make 1890 rpm. The Cat dealer has acknowledged the mistake and has ordered new gears (that won't be here until January). I'm disappointed as I should be finished with this project but it's going to drag on. We did hit 22kts while being way over-propped. But the real numbers won't be available until we swap out the transmissions. I won't run them overloaded, so for now I get to run at hull speed and wait.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    All spare props are sold. New engines should turn 2300 loaded.New wheels are 4 blade. So, here is the bad news. I bought the engines and gears from the local Cat dealer. We all thought these were 2:1 reduction gears. Everything was engineered around this. Now, we all know these are 1.5 to one gears and I can only make 1890 rpm. The Cat dealer has acknowledged the mistake and has ordered new gears (that won't be here until January). I'm disappointed as I should be finished with this project but it's going to drag on. We did hit 22kts while being way over-propped. But the real numbers won't be available until we swap out the transmissions. I won't run them overloaded, so for now I get to run at hull speed and wait.
    You hit 22kts overpropped by 50%. That thing is going to fly when you’re done.

Cat just ordered new transmissions. They expect them to be delivered in January. For now, I'm just running over-propped but only at hull speed. SO No new performance numbers until next spring.
    Sky Cheney