Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sea water leak from exhaust hose

Hours after running my engines (CUMMINS VT8-370M) I noticed water on the floor in the master closet and head. I traced the leaks – they both appear to be at low points near a cradle where the exhaust hose / fiberglass tube connect.

Couple questions: (1) was it common in the early 70’s to have both fiberglass and rubber exhaust hose at various locations along the hull? (2) any suggestions for a ‘simple’ in the water repair?

There is a small section of the port hose that is soft, the rest is rigid. Thoughts? Comments?

Rebecca
    Attached Images
    KATERINA
    1970 53MY Hull #329
    Cummins VT8-370M
    Alameda CA

2. Re: Sea water leak from exhaust hose

The time has come to change out all of the old original hoses for new.

Re: Sea water leak from exhaust hose

Went through this on my Chris Craft, it’s time to replace all of the rubber exhaust hoses. There’s not a lot of point in not doing it all at once. The money is in the labor. This is sort of a 911 issue, if you take any chop on the stern when anchored or docked it can sink the boat.

Pending your location, Glass tubes may be cheaper that the large diameter hose.
    Use hose to make connections.
    Also, since were spending your money, get the better T Bolt hose clamps.

The glass tubes may need some stainless rings inside of them to keep them from crushing when you tighten the clamps.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

i replaced all of mine. the rubber hose is connections for the glass tube... get the blue silicon hose, it is much better and easier to work with.
    the glass tubes almost touch each other inside of the hose so you will either have to replace all of them at once or cut the glass tubes to get enough room to put the new hose in place
    as sky said, get the stainless crush sleeves or you will be doing this twice. if you do it in the water get a small round fender and inflate it in the exhaust outlet in the transom
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i replaced all of mine. the rubber hose is connections for the glass tube... get the blue silicon hose, it is much better and easier to work with.
    the glass tubes almost touch each other inside of the hose so you will either have to replace all of them at once or cut the glass tubes to get enough room to put the new hose in place
    as sky said, get the stainless crush sleeves or you will be doing this twice. if you do it in the water get a small round fender and inflate it in the exhaust outlet in the transom
    Curious as to how much of the interior you needed to remove in order to access and replace the hose & tubes.

I envision needing to remove nearly all the built-ins, including bathroom counters, built-in cupboards in master suite as well as bed; etc... would like to think they can be released at the engine and simply pulled out - not too much laughter, please!!!

Appreciate all the input!
    KATERINA
    1970 53MY Hull #329
    Cummins VT8-370M
    Alameda CA

See Masterplans youtube channel. He replaced one of the large couplings and videoed the process. The repair starts at the end of this episode I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ots8Qb_48M
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

none of the built in stuff was removed. once you get one piece loose and moved to the side, the rest will slide back or forward enough to change the hoses
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.