Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Trailer For My 41DC

Ran across one that I think will work as it has adequate capacity to handle the weight. Question is, how do I determine where to set the bunks on the trailer to properly support the hull?

The ideal situation would be to run it under the boat while it's on a travel lift, but that means a pretty lengthy trip from its current location behind my house. As best I recall, I have graving plans for it from Hatteras, so I'm guessing I can pull everything I need from that. Beyond that, I suppose the next thing to figure out is placement of the axles for proper weight distribution. This trailer was obviously not designed for my boat.

Anybody ever tackle such a project before?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Trailer For My 41DC

Use the Graving Plan from Hatteras that came in your Owner's Manual. This will locate the support for a cradle which you should be able to use to modify the trailer. It should also suggest where the lift points would be so that might help with the axle location. Good luck.

Drove to Orlando yesterday and picked up the trailer this morning. Made it back to God's country about an hour ago with no issues. Didn't even blow a starboard tire or anything.

Trailer is an absolute beast and is of the commercial variety that was built by Broward Trailers. With that, everything on the trailer is adjustable/movable, so I see no issues with fitment. It appears to have three, 10K lb. axles with tires rated to 26,400 lbs. They bit the dust two years ago this month, but I'm hoping to find someone who can give me some specs. Guess I'll call Hatteras tomorrow and see if anybody can shed any light on the best way to support the old gal on this thing, but there is a flat, steel plate that runs front to back for keel support. I'm just not sure if the keel needs to bear much weight, or how you would go about putting x amount of weight on it vs the bunks on either side of the hull.

I honestly don't think weight on the keel would be necessary, and given how thick the hulls are on these things, I would think it would be dang near impossible to hurt one from a support standpoint unless you do something really dumb. Going to stick with the original plan to set it with a travel lift the first time, and I'm sure launching it is much easier than hauling it.

Stay tuned. The restoration is about to begin.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I would support the weight at the keel as much as possible and leave the sides for balance support. Just like blocking and jackstands do.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I would support the weight at the keel as much as possible and leave the sides for balance support. Just like blocking and jackstands do.
    That would actually make things easier. There are four adjustable bunks and two adjustable V bunks. If I only load/unload with a travel lift, having dead weight on the keel isn't an issue. Not so if I plan to submerge the trailer. Wouldn't think it would be a good idea having the keel drag along that steel plate.

Hopefully someone at Hatteras will know, but if not, I'll check with some commercial boat towing guys and see how they support them. Maybe a carpeted, flat bunk on top of that metal plate would be the way to go.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Here’s a couple of pics of the beast.
    Attached Images
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

What's your concern about the keel "dragging" on steel beam? It would only occur for the short period just before the boat floats (launching) or settles into place (hauling). I can't imagine the steel would damage the fiberglass keel. If you were really concerned about it, you could always put a thin coat of axle grease on it.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

How about a strip of soft wood on top of the beam screwed from the under side. It would be easy to replace, not damage the keel and would compress for any imperfections in the keel.

Walt Hoover

I thought you would be towing it with your RV?
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by tomrealest View Post
    I thought you would be towing it with your RV?
    It actually wouldn’t have cost that much more than towing it behind my Roush F-150 that got 11 MPG towing it back. Biggest problem with the RV would be the fact I’d be over 80’ long.

Pulling that thing through rush hour traffic in Atlanta was fun, but it reminded me of my tractor-trailer driving days when I used to haul my own safes.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93