Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Coolant hose recommendations

Hi guys,

Since I have to rebuild my 2 coolant water pumps, I'll also be replacing my blue silicone coolant hoses and looking for brand/type recommendations. they're 37 years old and are due for replacement. I did a quick forum search but couldn't find much on brand/type and where to buy...

I also have to rebuild/replace 2 turbos (twin dry turbos) and was wondering if they use the same type of hose for compressor side and oil drain as the coolant. They look similar but not sure if they are. Basically looking for a one size fits all solution (if that's possible)

Thanks
    Attached Images
    -------------------------
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

Re: Coolant hose recommendations

I have been wondering the same, although looking around it seems like the Trident stuff would be easy to source.
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    I have been wondering the same, although looking around it seems like the Trident stuff would be easy to source.
    I've looked into Trident silicone for coolant hose but they seem to be pretty hard hoses compared to the ones (original) on the boat and might be hard to work with. Also, there seem to be different types of silicone. Some are good for 350F and some goes as high as 500F. Wondering if the 500F one would be good for the turbo pressure side. And then there is the turbo oil drain hose. Some site have mentionned that silicone is not good for oil but the original ones on my boat are definitelly silicone so it's kind of hard to choose... I was looking for real life experience of poeple who did that job of replacing all of them...
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

When you do make sure to use the Awab clamps their designed not to cut into the soft silicone. DO NOT use Awabs on standard hose because they don’t generate enough clamping pressure
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

You're right about the Trident hose being difficult to work with. I used it everywhere. Not that big of a problem, it worked out. If you cut the lengths right and have a pair of shears that will easily cut the wire reinforcement, it won't slow you up.

We've been buying most of our silicone hose from McMaster Carr for awhile. They have 3 types of blue hose, heater which I think goes up to 1.25" ID in up to 50' lengths. And the stiffer stuff in up to 12' lengths with wire or without up to 5" or 6". Probably not the cheapest source but can always get it in a day.
    Also, have bought some on Ebay, but you never know exactly what your getting most of the time.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I have used Aeroquip hoses for fuel and oil .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    When you do make sure to use the Awab clamps their designed not to cut into the soft silicone. DO NOT use Awabs on standard hose because they don’t generate enough clamping pressure
    Yes that's what I do. I use Scandvik ABA clamps. Not cheap but pretty good... Thanks :-)
    Richard
    1985 Motor Yacht 48
    DD 6V92 TA
    Montreal, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    The awab clamp is entirely dependent on correct sizing of hose to fitting and clamp to hose O.D. to not cut into the silicone hose. If you look at the inside of a awab clamp, there is a 'tail' of the strap on the underside opposite the worm screw drive. If a too big clamp is used and tightened down the tail will be forced into the silicone hose thereby cutting into the hose due to the strap losing its circular (round) shape. If a too big I.D. hose is used for a fitting application the tail will cut into the hose as the hose is cinched up in the clamps grip. for anything over 1.5" O.D. I believe constant torque clamps are the way to go with silicone hose
    Last edited by bostonhatteras; 10-20-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    We've been buying most of our silicone hose from McMaster Carr for awhile. They have 3 types of blue hose, heater which I think goes up to 1.25" ID in up to 50' lengths. And the stiffer stuff in up to 12' lengths with wire or without up to 5" or 6". Probably not the cheapest source but can always get it in a day.
    Also, have bought some on Ebay, but you never know exactly what your getting most of the time.
    I've purchased some Heater type silicone hose on ebay. the trade name on the hose is FlexFab. Made in USA and the company claims to have many decades in development and manufacture of hose. The stuff is very soft, like unbelievable soft but doesn't kink at all and has very tight radius ability. I'm impressed so far and I've purchased 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8". I'm only using it for air conditioning raw water discharge. generator muffler drain hose and a couple hoses on my generator raw water after the strainer.