Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: traveling offshore

It is interesting to read about offshore traveling on the east coast.
    Out here on the west coast we always go offshore, as there's nowhere else to go.
    A typical day's fishing or cruising trip out of San Diego involves heading west 20-100 miles. That's probably why - when it comes to boats that actually leave the dock - motoryachts are outnumbered by sport fishers here by a huge margin.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I don’t really consider running the coast as being offshore, but it’s just a terminology thing. I refer to running inside or outside as we have the ICW below NJ as an option.

I prefer running outside when the weather is nice, but it’s not always the shortest route. Whether or not it’s quicker depends on your cruising speed. With that, I see WAY more convertibles outside than I do inside. The reverse is true for motor yachts. That comes back to the speed vs distance thing.

By the time you run in/out of the passes, it kills any distance saved. Outside is just prettier and keeps you away from bridges, no wake zones, idiots etc.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Plus you can use the autopilot and not have to stop for bridge openings.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Plus you can use the autopilot and not have to stop for bridge openings.
    I just had to on the bridge thing...

https://youtu.be/_zfIYInFMhg
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

We used the Navionics app on our IPad to do 6 trips from Annapolis to Key West and back. Ran Inside and Outside depending on weather and draft. SC & Georgia ICW not very deep. Purchased an expensive Garmin, tried it for 2 days and took it back.