Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

traveling offshore

If you were to travel offshore from Charleston,SC to Southport,NC how far off the shoreline do you venture ,5,10 miles or further ?

Re: traveling offshore

Personally I would stay about ten miles offshore. There are rocks and shoaling north of Charleston. it's not a big deal but hugging the coastline is not advised. FYI do not make your turn to the north too soon Charleston Harbor entrance has rock jetty's both sides that are completly submerged at high tide.

The Navionics app on your smart phone is your friend when it comes to questions like this. You enter your boat's parameters, and it will plot a course based on those parameters. I fudge my draft by three feet as a safety factor, and it's never gotten me into trouble. Great for trip planning, especially coastal.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Horse View Post
    Personally I would stay about ten miles offshore. There are rocks and shoaling north of Charleston. it's not a big deal but hugging the coastline is not advised. FYI do not make your turn to the north too soon Charleston Harbor entrance has rock jetty's both sides that are completly submerged at high tide.
    You would be adding distance to the trip if you ran that close vs a straight line.

Here’s a screenshot from Navionics which shows 23 miles offshore. Pay no attention to the total mileage, and keep in mind these are statue miles.
    Attached Images
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Thanks! I see the route .

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Thanks! I see the route .
    It's hard to get much detail from that pic, but running offshore is always a, "closest distance between two points is a straight line" sort of deal with obvious variations for immovable objects and the bottom. You can see where I did a measurement from the course line to shore to come up with that 23 mile figure. It's just a point and click to do that, and all I did was enter Charleston City Marina and Southport Marina in autoroute mode to get the route.

I run boats with the latest and greatest electronics packages, and I inevitably end up with my iPhone with Navionics in my palm for navigating. It's just so much easier to use. The app is extremely inexpensive, and I have never recommended to anyone who didn't thank me for doing so.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I will check out the app. thanks !