Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Deep Sea Systems Generator Panel

Thought I would post here before I call someone in. My L&M Marine Leader generator will crank and run momentarily then shuts down on low oil pressure. It has a Deep Sea Systems 5210 control panel. Manual gauge verifies I have 75# of oil pressure. This started about the time the hurricane hit Houma, LA where L&M is located and I am in FL. I started a dialogue with Deep Sea tech support and was told how to diagnose the board. Bypassed the board and generator runs fine. New oil sender and made a circuit with switches and a resistor, with assistance of DS, to replicate the VDO sensor sending signals to the module. Long story short the module was diagnosed as defective. I wasn't told it was obsolete and that explained why I could only find on Ebay. These days you don't know with supply issues and such. Got the new 5210 in and it shut down on overspeed but not oil. DSS then told me it was obsolete and the one I had was a China knockoff and they couldn't support. Also told me I needed an 810 software kit to change settings and it was obsolete. Well I found it and was able to re-program the China one to match the settings of the old one. Guess what? It is doing the same thing as the old one. Even ran the diagnostics from DSS and says this one is defective. I find that odd that they both would be bad. I am probably going to call L&M (hopefully they are back open after the storm) and see what they can offer for a replacement but first wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue or is intimately familiar with programming these controllers. Everything on this boat from the 80's works well and is easy to fix. My biggest issues are these dang computer driven things. Seems like those are the items I have problems with. This China virus confirms that circuit board dependency isn't good. Also any recommendations on going to analog monitoring system will be considered. The engine is an Isuzu without a computer and all of the senders are analog.

Re: Deep Sea Systems Generator Panel

I feel your pain.
    Been there, done that , lost my shirt.
    You can understand why many owners only purchase water makers and gen-sets with minimum logic (prefer none).

If you really need the logic, I hope the vendor has an upgrade (affordable??) for you.

My Isuzu 4LE1 runs great. two relays run all start/stop and safety shut down including Halon shut down.
    Engine has the senders and wiring for gauges, after 16 years, I still don't have any gauges to stare at me.
    No gauges on our second gen-set also.

Also, I'm so sorry I do have to rub this in, Please forgive me in advance,,

You expected an electronic part from e-bay to work first try????
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 10-10-2021 at 09:53 PM.

I actually want zero logic so do you have a suggestion for an analog solution? As for the ebay jab it was the only replacement I could find. DSE did not tell me it was obsolete, M&L was hit by a hurricane and it appears everyone else, including Ford, Chevy and Dodge are looking for a computer board. I didn't expect it to work and was actually shocked the CD I received had the instructions in English but it was the only source I could find. I actually had to go to three places today to find a Group 31 12 volt battery for my skiff. One large retailer that normally has rows of batteries had rows of heavy duty wire racks. Their oil selection dwindled as well.I would like to create or purchase an analog control panel where I wasn't dependent on computer boards. Also FYI I heard there was a nationwide back order of Rotella 40W oil. If you find any on eBay buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    I feel your pain.
    Been there, done that , lost my shirt.
    You can understand why many owners only purchase water makers and gen-sets with minimum logic (prefer none).

If you really need the logic, I hope the vendor has an upgrade (affordable??) for you.

My Isuzu 4LE1 runs great. two relays run all start/stop and safety shut down including Halon shut down.

Also, I'm so sorry I do have to rub this in, Please forgive me in advance,,

You expected an electronic part from e-bay to work first try????
    I have Isuzu 4LE on mine. Do you have anything that will shut down for low oil or high temp that is not reliant on a circuit board? If so please share with me how you are doing this? Mine has the to relays but a damn computer controls them. I can bypass it but if I suck up something in the strainer or lose oil pressure it will run till she self destructs

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I have Isuzu 4LE on mine. Do you have anything that will shut down for low oil or high temp that is not reliant on a circuit board? If so please share with me how you are doing this? Mine has the to relays but a damn computer controls them. I can bypass it but if I suck up something in the strainer or lose oil pressure it will run till she self destructs
    I do have the auto shut down stuff. One of the two relays control this. I have found on my Isuzu, all oil/temp senders and switches were Isuzu factory. I'm sure you may already have the engine switches installed like mine. I'm sure you already have an exhaust temp switch also.

Let me dig for a schematic. I remember long ago doing this in SC for a boat after a fancy board failure.

Your in FL now?
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 10-10-2021 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Ah for the old days of Murphy switches, simple and they work set em where ya want em
    Attached Images
    Admiral-- Marilyn
    Captain--James
    1980 43 DC Hull#526
    Twin DD 671 TI

This is why I like Phasor generators, they refuse to use proprietary circuit boards of any kind.

Ralph - thanks for the tip on the oil. My senders, etc are not factory and were added by L&M Engines. They build these things and do the wiring, etc. to pair the engine to the generator and controller. They used the Deep Sea control panel with VDO senders. They are not switches to my knowledge they just provide readings based on resistance which is read by the Deep Sea module. It is supposed to display the readings on the circuit board and does except oil pressure. There is no exhaust temp on this one. there is a magnetic pick up for the flywheel and an output to the fuel pump that turns it on when it goes into cranking mode and off on shutdown. Would appreciate any diagram you can find

Jim- The Murphy switches are what I was thinking of. I believe I can convert mine to these type gauges. I would have to make some kind of start/shut down circuit that would loop through these and shut the unit down on low oil or overheat. I would still need a way to monitor over voltage, phase, etc.

If you are in need of Detroit CF-2 / 40W oil. Go to NAPA. Part number 75-118.
    (5 Gal pail of CF-2 / 40W). If it is not in the store that morning, it will be there that afternoon if you have them call it in. Been using it for us and customers for years.