Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Does anyone know the scoop on this 53 in Onekama, Mi Was pending. Back for sale?/

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    That would be a good thing.

Does oil flow through the head? I've done some motor work, but I'm no mechanic.
    It won't hurt it as long as they keep putting oil in it.

Your other option is to get a real Detroit mechanic to survey the engines. Then you'll have some real information to base decisions on. But first I'd get an accepted offer at a reduced price. Unless, of course, you can get the owner to pay for the engine survey up front.

I remember it being a good looking boat. When the water was high, they scraped up the hull some because the pilings were too low in Frankfort.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-12-2021 at 05:27 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Does anyone know the scoop on this 53 in Onekama, Mi Was pending. Back for sale?/

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    It won't hurt it as long as they keep putting oil in it.

Your other option is to get a real Detroit mechanic to survey the engines. Then you'll have some real information to base decisions on. But first I'd get an accepted offer at a reduced price. Unless, of course, you can get the owner to pay for the engine survey up front.

I remember it being a good looking boat. When the water was high, they scraped up the hull some because the pilings were too low in Frankfort.
    I think we are going to go take a look Saturday. I will be picking up an oil sample kit from the local Caterpillar dealer and see what that says.

Thank you for all the input!

Did you have a look at her?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustednut View Post
    Did you have a look at her?
    He bought it
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I believe there was another 53 in Michigan listed for 85k I see that is now gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustednut View Post
    I believe there was another 53 in Michigan listed for 85k I see that is now gone.
    I bought the one in Onekama, I don't know about the other one, unless it was listed elsewhere with the lower price.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

I bought the one in Onekama, I don't know about the other one, unless it was listed elsewhere with the lower price.
    Well end the anticipation for us, what was wrong with the engine? It’s usually entertaining when a 25 year old road mechanic who’s somebody’s brother in law works on a marine Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    Well end the anticipation for us, what was wrong with the engine? It’s usually entertaining when a 25 year old road mechanic who’s somebody’s brother in law works on a marine Detroit.
    I don't know yet...... I'm hoping it's just an oil leak. The oil samples came back really clean, no issues. I'm planning on just running it at this point. I was told they both ran strong on a 25 mile trip back to where it is stored for the winter.

I don't think there are detroit diesel mechanics in the area, so a better inspection will have to wait until I get it back to the detroit metro area.

I don't know yet...... I'm hoping it's just an oil leak. The oil samples came back really clean, no issues. I'm planning on just running it at this point. I was told they both ran strong on a 25 mile trip back to where it is stored for the winter.

I don't think there are detroit diesel mechanics in the area, so a better inspection will have to wait until I get it back to the detroit metro area.
    There’s detroit mechanics pretty much everywhere, even 20 years into their all but dropping out of the marine market they’re still probably the most common engines out there. They’re not all created equal though, ask around and find somebody who everybody trusts and you’ll save yourself a lot of assache - I learned that the hard way. Multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by cww View Post
    There’s detroit mechanics pretty much everywhere, even 20 years into their all but dropping out of the marine market they’re still probably the most common engines out there. They’re not all created equal though, ask around and find somebody who everybody trusts and you’ll save yourself a lot of assache - I learned that the hard way. Multiple times.
    Yes, I should be able to find one, better chance though once I get it local, or at least back in the water. Unfortunately it's on the hard now, so I think it has to wait until spring.