Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Does anyone know the scoop on this 53 in Onekama, Mi Was pending. Back for sale?/

http://www.onekamamarine.com/boats-for-sale/1980-hatteras-53-motor-yacht-onekama-michigan-7966309/

A
    bout a month ago it was listed at $149,000, when I called it was already pending.

Now it's back up for $139,000.

Would anyone know what went wrong?

Re: Does anyone know the scoop on this 53 in Onekama, Mi Was pending. Back for sale?/

It has been on the market for a while (since Aug). I also would like to know what happened as I was looking at it. Do they sometimes post that sale is pending to generate interest? Does it indicate that sale fell thru?
    Thanks

Re: Does anyone know the scoop on this 53 in Onekama, Mi Was pending. Back for sale?/

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    It has been on the market for a while (since Aug). I also would like to know what happened as I was looking at it. Do they sometimes post that sale is pending to generate interest? Does it indicate that sale fell thru?
    Thanks
    I talked to the listing guy and he told me there was a deal on it. He said the deal was for $135,000

So I am assuming something went afoul with the survey. That's what I would like to know.

Looks decent for the money.

Not a bad looking boat. Price is very low which tells me high engine hours, generator issues and or core issues. None of which were listed on the sale sheet.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

That boat has been at Frankfort Municipal marina for years. It always looked nice but like it was never used or maintained. I doubt that it would not pass survey. It was probably some other reason that it didn't sell. It needs some work, but it has been freshwater for years and is probably in better shape than most.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Talked to the listing agent.
    One motor has what is suspected to be a blown head gasket....
    So the deal fell apart. They were quoted 20k to pull the motor and fix. Sounds like only about 5 k away from a full rebuild.

Any thoughts on cost to replace a head gasket if that is truly all that is wrong with it?

Thanks for the feedback!

On an 8v71, I doubt its a head gasket. Just figure on a complete rebuild when you make your offer.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    On an 8v71, I doubt its a head gasket. Just figure on a complete rebuild when you make your offer.
    That's what I am thinking too.

He did say it ran good still, ran 25 miles to where it is now, was leaking oil.
    Some tractor mechanic looked at it, so the diagnosis is, well, you know..........suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    That's what I am thinking too.

He did say it ran good still, ran 25 miles to where it is now, was leaking oil.
    Some tractor mechanic looked at it, so the diagnosis is, well, you know..........suspect.
    Could be nothing more than a plug in the head that has come loose and leaking oil. I've seen it happen before.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Could be nothing more than a plug in the head that has come loose and leaking oil. I've seen it happen before.
    That would be a good thing.

Does oil flow through the head? I've done some motor work, but I'm no mechanic.