Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

KVH 5. TV Satellite tracking

I have a question for the pros out there. My KVH TV satellite tracking system has stopped working. It turns out the unit is more than 17 years old and there are no parts to replace or repair. I started to look into replacing the whole unit and was shocked to find that with installation it was going to be between $9,000 and $10,000. What have the pros out there done for watching television on their boats? I do have one of the saucer shaped antennas for local channels but it’s extremely weak and doesn’t draw very good signals. I look forward to hearing your advice.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: KVH 5. TV Satellite tracking

I like my Intellian. I've had it for 10 years and when I emailed for a firmware update, they sent it to me within minutes. I hear others complain about their KVH, but this Intellian just works. I have only updated firmware twice on it in 10 years.

I think you can buy an I2 for less than $2000
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-07-2021 at 09:00 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I had a KBH replaced by an intelian 3 years on the 84 I used to run. It was little cheaper but the reason I went with the intellian is that the newer KVH controls generate a lot more heat according to two different installers.

The intelian has worked great. Forgot the model but it was big enough to get reception beyond the Exumas
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I converted to all hotspot through Calyx Institute this year. I average about 250gb every month. As long as I am within about 5 miles of shore I have all of the data I need. I stream Netflix and Amazon Prime. I listen to Pandora and other streaming sources. I guess it cost me about $40/month

https://calyxinstitute.org/
    SummerWind
    1994 Hatteras
    48 cockpit motoryacht
    Muskegon, Mi

youtube.com/@greatlakesyachting

If you spend most of the time watching tv at the dock or at anchor why buy the latest and greatest.
    I have 2 old Sea Tel 24" units I bought used from Max Marine Electronics in Pompano Beach Fla for my 2 boats and I believe I paid $1,000 each over 10 years ago and they work fine. They have a good selection of used KVH and Intellian domes and receivers that are all tested and guaranteed for a few thousand $$$.

https://maxmarineelectronics.com

I put a KVH tv3 on my boat. It covers most of the Bahamas and costs around $3,000. Since you'd be replacing a system its an easy DIY job. My boat didn't have a system when I bought it and it wasn't a difficult job. It took me and a friend about 5 hours to install it. The hardest part of the job was setting it up, you do the setup through wifi on your tablet of desk top. One thing to remember though is Direct Tv says they are fazing out their standard definition satellites. So who knows how much longer the SD systems will work.

Replaced a KVH TV4 after about 15 years, because nobody could fix it, with a TV 3 probably 4 years ago. At the time TV5 was sold out and was not going to be available for 3 months , or something. It's been good, but not as good as the old tv4 was when it gets really rough. And yes the "black box" does produce a lot of heat.
    If I was getting a new unit today would go with Intellian. Btw, Intellian's HD dish costs much less than KVH's.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Wait for Starlink, it's coming! I'm one of the beta testers and I see incredible speeds. No data caps, and I stream everything. 200 mbps. The dish auto acquires, and will track to a degree, but it is not robust enough for in motion tracking. The dish is portable with a tripod base mount. The "but" is, it only works in your assigned geocell. I don't know how big that is, but I have moved the dish within 20 miles of my physical address, with no problems. Starlink is working on an "in motion" system, and my advice is get on the list for beta testing as soon as you can. IMHO, it's the best thing since sliced bread. 2 anchors out, on the lake, works great, swinging on the hook, not so much. Tied to a transient dock, perfectomudo.

Thanks I’ll research them. Sounds interesting.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Agree on Starlink…it wil be the way forward for TV and internet access. In the meantime, reach out to Max Marine Electronics (MME) in south Florida, they probably have an old system you can salvage for parts or suggest a place that can fix your existing system to hold you over for Starlink. Also suggest installing a amplified glomax HD air antenna for local channels.
    Best regards,
    --
    David