Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

"5th" Tank on 1970 Hatteras Convertiblle 45'

Hey all. My Hatt has a 180 Gallon Fresh water tank, and 3 Diesel tanks. 200/200/250. My question is, what is the 5th tank in the aft fishing deck that is not in use? Live Bait well? Fish storage? Just curious. Previous owner did not know and it is not in use. Thanks in advance all.

Re: "5th" Tank on 1970 Hatteras Convertiblle 45'

Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    Hey all. My Hatt has a 180 Gallon Fresh water tank, and 3 Diesel tanks. 200/200/250. My question is, what is the 5th tank in the aft fishing deck that is not in use? Live Bait well? Fish storage? Just curious. Previous owner did not know and it is not in use. Thanks in advance all.
    If it has a hatch to the cockpit it’s a live bait well.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Where are you in Oregon? I’ve got a friend in Beaverton does a lot of river and offshore fishing there. Said a lot of the fisheries were closed there this year. Says hipsters think you should eat your fish out of a can not catch them.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Where are you in Oregon? I’ve got a friend in Beaverton does a lot of river and offshore fishing there. Said a lot of the fisheries were closed there this year. Says hipsters think you should eat your fish out of a can not catch them.
    Portland Area. Yes, they are trying to "protect" the salmon. Break down the dams, add more restrictions. Just more of the same old Oregon stuff you all hear about in those other states.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    That '5th tank' takes up a lot of space. It was more than useless to me since it not only occupied valuable space but the decaying organic matter that got in there produced a nasty smell regularly hence I did away with the tank. Its a lot of fiberglass to cut away but i did cut it out, epoxy filled the holes through the hull and created a shelf that now holds my four 8D batteries. Getting the batteries out of the engine room was one of the best things I ever did to the boat. Btw the fiberglass that creates the live well is structural to support the deck so you'll need to resupport the deck if you intent to remove it.