Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 40 dc gassers

Re: 40 dc gassers

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post

"She's a bit tired, so I'm not getting full 42-4400. I'm in the 4000 range but honestly don't push it too much."

You don't have to run at or near WOT to be pushing it hard when it won't reach it's rated RPM at WOT. In fact, you're pushing it hard to run it at 3,250, and that's why she's drinking the extra fuel. I would bet money the secondaries have opened at that point. Did it ever turn its rated RPM?

If not, I would start with props, assuming it runs well at whatever RPM you're running. Lots of people over-prop gas engines thinking it will get them better economy at hull speed. It may a tad if you don't get carried away, but it will hurt you (and your engines) everywhere else. It's like pulling a loaded trailer up a hill with your truck in 5th gear. Lower RPM doesn't mean you are saving anything, and you're killing your engine.

It would be worth your while to see if you can get her RPM up where they should be. Tired probably is not your issue.
    They did prior to me purchasing it, but the boat sat in the slip prior to us bringing it home. I had carbs rebuilt over this past winter and have been chasing gremlins all summer. When I did crank her up that when I got to around 4000 rpm, but still want to check timing, and a few other areas and will try again. At this point, for us in NY, it'll likely be next spring for Salmon season.

This version of the 36 is very wide and heavy. You are only paying the price to run a bigger boat through seas. Even with Diesels it was never a great performer but that doesn't matter. You have a lot of boat. Enjoy!!
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    This version of the 36 is very wide and heavy. You are only paying the price to run a bigger boat through seas. Even with Diesels it was never a great performer but that doesn't matter. You have a lot of boat. Enjoy!!
    No complaints!! All the gas and headaches are worth it, my son can barely contain him self when we have a fish on. Plus, Lake Ontario seems to always be pissed off when we fish, so the heavier bigger boat is appreciated.

These moments are priceless, so I'll keep dumping gas in her.
    Attached Images

Beautiful! Many happy years to go.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    No complaints!! All the gas and headaches are worth it, my son can barely contain him self when we have a fish on. Plus, Lake Ontario seems to always be pissed off when we fish, so the heavier bigger boat is appreciated.

These moments are priceless, so I'll keep dumping gas in her.
    Now THAT is what it's all about!

Great job, dad!
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93