Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How to fend boat off dock in winds

I did try to google how to build big boat fender boards, no go, so changed it to yacht, same results. My dock is a pier that faces south. Westerly winds are no problem as the 46 will hang off the dock not hitting it. Easterly winds pin it to the dock and I need a good way to fend off without making things hard on the paint. Winds from the east due to proximity of land limit waves so even in a storm boat will not bounce around a lot. But pinned against the dock hard and minor movement is hard on the boat. Even with long tight spring lines the fenders get moved out of alignment some times. Fender balls would work decent midship to stern but forward I need a way to fend off the piling at the rub rail as its well above the dock height. Lot's of you guys have larger boats so I would appreciate some ideas and pictures.

Thanks in advance.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: How to fend boat off dock in winds

Big ball fenders mid ship and aft. Spring line to keep the bow off and the boat will stay only on the mid/aft fenders. A stern line to the far side aft cleat too. If the stern stays tight, the bow cannot swing in.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I made a fender board out of a 2x6 about 6' long and use two large fenders behind the board. All are held off the railing. I have had no issues even during the tropical storm we had hit in November. I also use the sailor Sams tide balls on my pilings and the boat stays close to the dock that way

Hard to tell without knowing the kind of dock you have.

In a slip with pilings on both side I set the lines so the boat can’t hit the pilings.

Now if you are side to, like on a tee head you have to use fenders. When that’s the case I use fenders set horizontal just under the tub rails. If the dock is concrete with pilings then you can’t set big ball fenders against the concrete, tied to the pilings so you don’t have to move them every tome you leave.

Post a picture of the boat and slip so we can see
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If the tide allows, maybe something like this would work.Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 10.19.17 PM.jpg
    Old school solution-legacy scrap fire hose wrapped on the piling. Last thought, if a floating dock reaches out to the piling, a really large ball fender works too.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I will post up a picture in the morning. Thank you for the replies.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Pictures added
    Attached Images
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

You need tie off poles on the outside. Don’t know if they make mooring whips that big. Mooring balls? Unless you’re against a solid wall or rafting up to another vessel their totally worthless.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

You need tie off poles. I had triples that wouldn’t keep the boat off the dock in the 04 hurricanes I went to 6 clusters solved the problem. Added triples on the dock at the stern and bow. I had 2x12 fender boards rigged up in 04 for Frances they were reduced to splinters in the first 3 hours. I had to get out with a hand ax and cut the whole mess loose.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

If you have pilings on the outside you can use them to keep the boat off the dock.

If the beam supporting the dock planks is tall enough you may be able to tie a couple of large ball fenders to the pilings set right against the beam to help when coming in and out. Otherwise install some heavy duty pilings fenders, some are really nice and tough.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat