Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Best type carpeting?

Just put new carpet in the salon of my 1973 38' FBDC and chose an indoor-outdoor type with no backing. It can be cut without fraying so it was easy to cut around the hatches without hardly showing the joints. Must have access to the hatches for servicing.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    That's definitely my plan. I'll have to go on the hunt for some installers and offer this cash job.
    Juice, on my 52C the carpet underlayment is mass-loaded 1/2" acoustic padding similar to the marine offerings from Soundown.

Those 6 big hatches leak a lot of engine noise into the salon, but your installers can easily cut and lay down the material, which does not need to be anchored since it is so heavy.

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    Juice, on my 52C the carpet underlayment is mass-loaded 1/2" acoustic padding similar to the marine offerings from Soundown.

Those 6 big hatches leak a lot of engine noise into the salon, but your installers can easily cut and lay down the material, which does not need to be anchored since it is so heavy.

DAN
    I put teak and holly plywood down in the galley over to the booth and am really surprised how much louder the engines sound standing there. Just replacing the carpet and pad in the walkway and under the booth has made it noticably louder. So, I added 1" more sound proofing underneath in the ER and it helped.

I hadn't heard of https://soundown.com/architecture/carpet-underlayment/ Maybe I'll order the carpet first and see how thick it is. Then, I'll order the pad accordingly before getting some installers in for the cash job.

With the economy starting to crap-out, it should be easier to find installers looking for side work. I'm talking to a granite guy about doing the galley countertops this Summer and he said his jobs are slowing down, dramatically.

All the sites have the same stuff, but this one is the least expensive I've found so far.
    https://www.flooringinc.com/carpet/j...le-carpet.html
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C