Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best type carpeting?

Any suggestions for the best type of carpet for my 1974 double cabin thirty eight footer? I get a lot of foot traffic from family and fiends. The carpet on it now is a flat weave with felt under it. It has worn extremely well but it’s time for new carpeting.

Re: Best type carpeting?

I'd simply choose a good quality carpet and then put runners that can be removed to clean and/or replace where you have a lot of foot traffic.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

only synthetic fibers, as natural fibers will mildew eventually. rebond pad seems better at sound deadening. every carpet has a call out for its desired pad thickness to ensure its warranted lifespan but going from 3/8 to 1/2, or up an 1/8" from the thickness recommended, wont hurt anything for the lifespan you'll be getting on the water and will only help keep the machinery space sound down

We recarpeted the Salon and Master Stateroom 2 years ago. The advise id give is about the pad. We used a 10lb density acoustic memory foam, and its wonderful. We used an Anso6 Nylon carpet with a low pile. Durable, stain resistant, and easily cleaned.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 09-23-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Nice. Were installers from a flooring store able to install it? Usually everything boat related has a special surcharge!
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C

I put a good quality commercial grade carpet in five years ago that's held up great. But it soaks up water like a sponge and dries slowly. The water doesn't damage it but it takes forever to dry. Getting ready to replace it and I'll test a sample beforehand before buying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by barkdee View Post
    I put a good quality commercial grade carpet in five years ago that's held up great. But it soaks up water like a sponge and dries slowly. The water doesn't damage it but it takes forever to dry. Getting ready to replace it and I'll test a sample beforehand before buying anything.
    That's why we went with the special pad! Normal rebond pad soaks up water, and cleaning the carpet or spills would stay wet forever. The high density memory foam pad is waterproof, so liquids vacuum right up. You can walk on it minutes after carpet cleaning and it's dry.. Nylon carpet fiber doesn't absorb water.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    Nice. Were installers from a flooring store able to install it? Usually everything boat related has a special surcharge!
    Funny you mention that. I got an estimate from a carpet installer that specialized in boats and it was $$$... when I took the old carpet out, I realized it was a typical install, stretched to tack strips over plywood.... so, I went and found some Guatemalan installers who normally did houses. The did a wonderful job, took a day and a half, cost me a catered lunch and less than $500 bucks for a 63' MY.

I just installed carpeting in my 1973 38' Hatteras FBDC using an outdoor-basement type carpet. One advantage I like was that it does not fray and therefore we could cut around the hatches without the cuts being very obvious. There is no underpay, so minimal weight is added.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Funny you mention that. I got an estimate from a carpet installer that specialized in boats and it was $$$... when I took the old carpet out, I realized it was a typical install, stretched to tack strips over plywood.... so, I went and found some Guatemalan installers who normally did houses. The did a wonderful job, took a day and a half, cost me a catered lunch and less than $500 bucks for a 63' MY.
    That's definitely my plan. I'll have to go on the hunt for some installers and offer this cash job.

New galley counters, a new fridge and new carpet are my only big interior things left. I'm going with this in navy and gold:
    https://www.htmart.com/products/mari...37071596290209
    At the mouth of the Caloosahatchee
    1984 52C