Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Getting ready to splash after refit

58 YF has been on the hard for a year and a half getting repairs and updates. Looks like were done, and last items before going back in are repacking all stuffing boxes and seals, impellers, fresh oil and raycors. Pressurizing and topping off hydraulics. Fuel Tank additive. The yard has run the motors about 3 times in the yard since haul out. No issues with startup and all.

What else has a high failure rate after sitting for a year?

Re: Getting ready to splash after refit

At some point after it has sat in the water for a while you may want to revisit the prop shaft alignment.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by KPTIM View Post
    At some point after it has sat in the water for a while you may want to revisit the prop shaft alignment.
    After the boat is back in the water for a long time.

But this bring up a point to check the cutlass bearings and motor mounts.

Here is a shortlist: service all thru hulls/lubricate. recheck all below waterline items: batteries, clamps, hoses, bonding system. Check bilges, AC's after back in water. run everything at the dock for a day or 2 if you can.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Work all your strainers to make sure they have not seized up. Make sure you stay on the boat once it goes back in the water. Check, double check and triple check for leaks of any type.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks! Great things to add and I didn't think about slipping it at the yard for a few days near the lift just in case.

And please post photos of her once she is launched.

Open all floor hatches , the one on the bow and the one in the master bedroom . also the small ones in the stb heads. If you had work on the exhausts be vigilant with them. I would also test all bilge pumps and their discharge hoses . If you have Naid stabilizers check that they are not letting water in. Good luck and enjoy. Thats a great boat !