Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Question on cleaning and painting brass through hull fittings

I am in the process of cleaning the filter and replacing rubber gaskets in the raw water through hull fitting and wanted to ask what is the easiest way of getting rid of that green stuff on the through hull fittings and would priming and paining them with Rust Oleum paint be advisable and lasting protection from the oxidation that causes that green stuff?

Physical removal (wire brushing) of the green stuff is impractical so need something that would clean it chemically before priming and painting.

Any good advice and suggestion are welcome.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: Question on cleaning and painting brass through hull fittings

My two cents is not to use very harsh chemicals. Start with white vinegar and a stiff plastic brush. i.e. toilet bowl brush to reach. Acid would clean them but it will eat into the good metal. Vinegar is a mild acid and may take time but you shouldn't end up with a compromised fitting. Leaving it as it is may be the best. the green is not destroying the fitting it is the residue of the deteriorated metal and may actually protect the remaining metal.

Of course new fittings are safer but that's a entire different issue for you to deal with at haul out.

if you do a replacement at haul out see if you can reduce number of fittings by making the main ones larger ( sealing other ones) and splitting off flow.

i replaced a frozen 1.5 inch thru hull at last haul out, it was sitting on my work bench for about 6 months so i decided to soak it in vinegar and see what happens...it came back clean bronze, AND IT UN FROZE ITSELF. works great now.... i guess i have a spare now
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

The oxidation layer that develops on the brass/bronze is actually better protection than any paint that you could put on it (ask any bronze statue that you see in the park if they haven't pulled them all down yet). Now if you are getting the powdery light green "bloom" on the metal, that might be an indication of a problem with your bonding system.
    Last edited by Play'N Hooky Too; 09-20-2021 at 10:53 PM.
    "The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner" - Some Wise Guy

1976 46' Convertible
    Old Fort Bayou
    Ocean Springs, Mississippi

I have had good luck spraying clean bronze fittings wtih Corrosion-X- has to be renwed every now and again but they do stay much cleaner than they would with any other protectant I'e used.