Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Salty Lady 53 #555 Pics when she was new.....

This was taken in August 1979 at Walstrom Marine in Harbor Springs Michigan a couple of weeks after she arrived. My grandfather ordered her in the fall of 1978 and she was launched mid July of 1979 and the delivery route was up the east coast into the Great Lakes. My mother took these pictures with a Minolta 110 camera. I still have the camera. LOL

My Grandpa Dale

Me at 17. I weigh a little more now, but haven't aged a day. LOL

I hope you don't mind the history posted here. I did it also about eleven years ago but thought you might get a kick out of these.

Re: Salty Lady 53 #555 Pics when she was new.....

Interior pics....

Decca 110 radar. We paid something like $5k in 76 but it was far superior to the super 101. You don’t look happy to be there.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Back to the future. Thanks for the share.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

In 1979 or 80, your Grandpa and Grandma pulled into Whitehall and docked next to my dad's 43DC. I was washing the waterline from the dinghy and he called out and said that he needed his washed too. I did it and he invited me aboard to pay me for my work. I was really excited because I'd never been aboard a 53MY. He made me sit for a while and your Grandma got me a soda while we talked. I remember it like it was yesterday.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 09-19-2021 at 10:36 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Decca 110 radar. We paid something like $5k in 76 but it was far superior to the super 101. You don’t look happy to be there.
    My face belied my emotion to being there. The night before, me and my parents were at the Bluebird Lodge in Leland for a lake perch dinner, which was a rare treat for me. We had docked at Leland municipal marina that day and my dad had said he had enough, no more cruising north on the Trojan F-32. My mother, bless her heart, who was much more crafty than my dad, got him loaded up on a few whiskey and waters and showed how on the chart it wasn't that much farther to Harbor Springs from Leland. He said "well shit" and the next day was obligated to go on up to Harbor Springs to visit grandpa on the new rig. I was a little in shock that I was with my grandpa on a brand new Hatteras 53. It was the be-all end-all for me.

And I learned how to read radar on that 110. It was a bitch and made me grateful for the tech that was to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    In 1979 or 80, your Grandpa and Grandma pulled into Whitehall and docked next to my dad's 43DC. I was washing the waterline from the dinghy and he called out and said that he needed his washed too. I did it and he invited me aboard to pay me for my work. I was really excited because I'd never been aboard a 53MY. He made me sit for a while and your Grandma got me a soda while we talked. I remember it like it was yesterday.
    I think that was 1980 around the fourth of July. I think his best friend Dick LaValley and his wife Connie were aboard. My grandpa didn't really want to take the boat out but Dick reminded him that if they came up for the holiday my grandpa said they would take the boat out. So, off they went. What marina was that at Sky? The municipal wasn't built until 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    My face belied my emotion to being there. The night before, me and my parents were at the Bluebird Lodge in Leland for a lake perch dinner, which was a rare treat for me. We had docked at Leland municipal marina that day and my dad had said he had enough, no more cruising north on the Trojan F-32. My mother, bless her heart, who was much more crafty than my dad, got him loaded up on a few whiskey and waters and showed how on the chart it wasn't that much farther to Harbor Springs from Leland. He said "well shit" and the next day was obligated to go on up to Harbor Springs to visit grandpa on the new rig. I was a little in shock that I was with my grandpa on a brand new Hatteras 53. It was the be-all end-all for me.

And I learned how to read radar on that 110. It was a bitch and made me grateful for the tech that was to follow.
    Knobs and dials. But if you learned to balance the tune gain and sea state those old Deccas worked better than anything today. The British owned the radar market back then and every time the radar needed service it was always someone from the UK that came out.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by tom5518 View Post
    I think that was 1980 around the fourth of July. I think his best friend Dick LaValley and his wife Connie were aboard. My grandpa didn't really want to take the boat out but Dick reminded him that if they came up for the holiday my grandpa said they would take the boat out. So, off they went. What marina was that at Sky? The municipal wasn't built until 1981.
    It was at the municipal and we had a seasonal slip there that first year so it must have been 1981. Maybe they just pulled in there to see the new marina. I don't remember anyone else being with them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    It was at the municipal and we had a seasonal slip there that first year so it must have been 1981. Maybe they just pulled in there to see the new marina. I don't remember anyone else being with them.
    You're right, the municipal opened in 1981. I think maybe he did do one short trip without company. I think grandma insisted on going somewhere and not just sitting at the dock.