Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Onan 15.0 MDJF Generator injector pump fuel leak

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I have that Northern Lights 16 kW set as the standby at my house in Annapolis. They are outstanding gensets, I don't think there are any better. I have a smaller one on my 36' Hatteras.
    But Jim, I really think all of these marine generators are pretty much the same. What you need to look at is 3 things:

1) What engine are they using (Yanmar, Kubota, Nissan, etc)

2) What generator end are they using (Martin, General, etc)

3) What controls are they using. Are they off the shelf regulator boards that you can buy online for $20 or are they some proprietary board that will cost you $$$$ to replace?

None of these guys make these components. They just assemble them. So, look at how that's done. Do you like where they mount the raw water pump, heat exchanger, etc and make your selection. I tend to discount those that say NL is best or Kohler or whatever. I'd rather have something that I can keep going with off the shelf parts. Its the total cost of ownership that matters and the ease of service. Obviously, those that use quality components and do a good job with assembly end up having a good reputation, but I'm not sure there is really that much difference from one to the next.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I think you're right- most genset manufacturers are assemblers. Maybe Onan make their own engines, I don't know.

The engines in the NL sets I have (and my 16kW set is basically identical to the 16kW set that is in MikeP's former 53 MY, except mine is radiator-cooled and his is HE cooled) were built by ISM/Shibaura. I believe that ISM/Shibaura also build all those refrigeration units powered by small diesels that you used to see on reefer trucks. I know of NL sets on commercial vessels that have documented over 20K hours running before an overhaul, with routine maintenance. NL sets were on commercial vessels before they were popular with yacht builders, I recall hearing. I really do think they are the best out there. Then again, it's been decades since I owned anything else, to be fair.

20,000 hours should be about right. I have a 3 cylinder Yanmar on my genset. I have the same motor on a dewatering pump at the quarry. We have rebuilt that motor twice. Both times it had almost 30,000 hours on it.

Generators are not pushed past their limits like main engines are. They should get the same number of hours between rebuilds as most industrial engines if they are used and maintained regularly.
    Sky Cheney

Stab in the dark, you say the shaft is leaking? My onan 20kw had a similar problem and I fixed it by replacing the shafts o-rings , cost 40 cents.

Thanks but I sent the pump to Avenger. Turns out he has a rebuild shop in Long Island NY

Since we are talking about Oh- No parts anyone know where I can get a flywheel for for MDL4 20 kw onan?? I have friend who needs one. also if anyone what industrial engine is on that unit that could help too....................Pat

Good point about generators not being asked to go beyond their limits; they have circuit breakers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    Since we are talking about Oh- No parts anyone know where I can get a flywheel for for MDL4 20 kw onan?? I have friend who needs one. also if anyone what industrial engine is on that unit that could help too....................Pat
    I know there is a take out sitting at Crosswinds Marina in Whitehall Michigan. He may part it out. Might be worth a call.
    Sky Cheney

I had this problem with the MDJC on my Chris-Craft, getting parts was so difficult that I was always trolling eBay or dealing with ancient supply houses in the pacific NW. Onan no longer supports the pre-Cummins merger models. Whenever it broke, just like you’re going through now, it took weeks to locate and get the part, and then it would work until the next thing broke and would be down again for another month. A generator with 50% downtime is a crappy generator.

I replaced it with a Phasor in the same size, 12kw, and have nothing but nice stuff to say about them. Super reliable Kubota Diesel engine, quality components. Best of all NO proprietary circuit boards or controllers, everything on it can be SERVICED not just replaced. Not that it matters because it never breaks, I put 600+ hours on it with nothing but an oil change.

My Hatteras has a northern lights in it that I’m sure cost 4x more, and I’m sure the name brand probably adds some value to the boat in the eyes of a buyer. But being honest here I just don’t see some big quality difference between the two. They’re both very well made.