Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for those familiar with the Key's

We have been there once in our old 46 Bertram, twice in our 34C, and once in the 46. We have our "go to" spot in Marathon (Banana Bay) but look to mix it up a bit on the way there. Last year we did the Galleon for a couple days and then trolled for Mahi over to Marathon.

Next summer we are going to Oceans Edge on Stock Island and then plan to again troll over to Marathon. Looking for a cool midpoint to stop for one day I found Little Palm Island resort. Clearly out of our price range. But beautiful.

So my question is are there any hidden gems of a place to stop that offer the natural beauty of the crystal clear water that would make a good stop. I'll do the high price thing to a point but $1,600 a night, well that's not going to happen. Willing to travel east from Marathon and run a different rout back north in search of paradise. Also no tricky water depth deals. Yes, I know I am in search of a unicorn!

Forgot to add we are going in the 46 so draft is 4'6"
    Last edited by madhatter1; 09-16-2021 at 06:38 PM.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Re: Question for those familiar with the Key's

Don’t know if anchoring out is an option but there is a little island with a beach in the “bay” by little palm island. We had a great time for a day and a night. If you have a dog he can go to the island and run around. I draw 5’ and am conservative and went in at close to high tide and had no issues. If you are going as far as islamorada we had a great time at Postcard inn and resort. Very nice place. the ladies loved it. I went in at high tide there as well and had no issues. Also if you have a fast dinghy you can go to that island (Boca Chica??) between key west and the marquesas. Very nice beach and water. Have fun

I ve been trying to find that unicorn for 30 years. It ain’t there. The keys are great for small boats, diving and fishing and that’s it. It sucks for cruising. No real natural beach... no bahia Honda doesn’t qualify as a natural beach. Bayside is a pain if you draw 5’ and the few nice natural beaches on back country keys are no landing zones to protect birds.

Hawks Cay is beautiful but good luck bringing 5+ draft in. Marathon is great if you like trailer parks.

All these years I keep going back to the best Florida Keys anchorage: Eliot key. North end of key largo, just 15nm from downtown Miami.

It’s roughly 160nm from FTL to KW. Just 30 more and you can be in the Exumas. No brainer
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal, we planned on going to the Bahamas soon but with all this covid BS and uncertainty no way for us. I'd rather pony up and pay $1,600 for as sure thing even though a cloudy day could ruin the experience.

May be looking at Postcard/Bud & Mary's as recommended. They are on oceanfront so maybe nice clear water. If I can't find the unicorn I'll just spend more time on mooring balls at some nice reefs. It's all about the nice clear water to me. I love that.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

We ve been to the Bahamas about 6 times since the red flu started. It’s pretty painless. Get a test before traveling, get your online health visa (easy) and 5 days after arriving get another test. If you re not close to a testing site no problem. We ve had guests test 9 days after arriving. Well worth it considering you get REAL beaches and sandbars.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I agree with Pascal. I don't have anywhere near his experience but I think he is on point. I have not been to the Bahamas since Covid but it would not stop me. I can't wait to get back to the Exumas.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Why not go down to the Dry Tortugas for a few days the water is clear there?

It s about 180/190 NM from Miami to the tortugas...same distance to the Exumas where you have 200 anchorages instead of 2
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We make a couple of trips to the keys every year. Our normal stops are Marina Del Mar in Key Largo.
    Post Card Inn or Plantation yacht Harbor in Islamorada. Hawks Cay, Faro Blanco, or Marlin Bay in Marathon. Then either Galleon or Opel in Key West. Our boat is 61 foot and draws 5.5 feet. The Post Card Inn and Hawks Cay are usually favorites for my family.

We planned on spending more time in the Bahamas but then Covid happened and my family doesn't care about it. We won't get vaccinated, wear masks, or take tests for it. So that rules out the Bahamas for a while

I love plantation yacht harbor, I used to Keep my boat there around 2003/2004. But 5 1/2 is right coming in.

We ve been to the Exumas 6 or more times since they re opened last year. Yeah you have to get a test but you can get an oral RT PCR so it s not bad. It s worth it.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat