Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Paragon Transmission Locked in Forward

Have a 1973 38' Hatteras FBDC with starboard transmission locked in forward. When shifted to reverse, it kills the engine. Suppose it must be removed and rebuilt or replaced. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The troubleshooting guide gives three possible problems ... all sound quite serious.

Re: Paragon Transmission Locked in Forward

Bad selector or locked pack. The selector may be serviceable from the top with out pulling the whole clutch.

Is this your boat? History before and when it failed?

What does the fluid smell like? If the fluid is dark and smells burnt the clutch pack is probably stuck together. It will usually start slipping that builds up heat and warps the discs, then it all sticks together. That gear reverses with a brake band that locks the planetary gear causing the rotation to reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Bad selector or locked pack. The selector may be serviceable from the top with out pulling the whole clutch.

Is this your boat? History before and when it failed?
    Yes, it is my boat. No prior failure to my knowledge ... only had it for a year - 3rd owner.
    Just returned from a 800nm cruise for 8 weeks throughout Georgian Bay and part of North Channel. It happened as was turning to back into my home slip.