Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Twin Disc trans stuck in gear!!

In forty years of boating I don’t think I’ve put as much as a scratch on a boat. As of this past Monday I can no longer say that.
    The starboard twin disc transmission stuck in forward during a fuel stop. The result in close quarters was 93,000 pounds landing on an older fiberglass Chris-Craft. Needless to say it didn’t fare well!
    my question is is anyone with Glendening electronic shift had this experience of it hanging up in gear. I went in the engine room and pulled the shift lever back in neutral manually and it has worked fine ever sense! Completing the trip back to her home port.
    I appreciate any input from someone with a similar experience as far as it relates to remedying the problem.

Re: Twin Disc trans stuck in gear!!

Quote Originally Posted by northshoreone View Post
    In forty years of boating I don’t think I’ve put as much as a scratch on a boat. As of this past Monday I can no longer say that.The starboard twin disc transmission stuck in forward during a fuel stop. The result in close quarters was 93,000 pounds landing on an older fiberglass Chris-Craft. Needless to say it didn’t fare well!my question is is anyone with Glendening electronic shift had this experience of it hanging up in gear. I went in the engine room and pulled the shift lever back in neutral manually and it has worked fine ever sense! Completing the trip back to her home port.I appreciate any input from someone with a similar experience as far as it relates to remedying the problem.
    I’ve experienced this. I determined that inadvertent disturbance of the cables in the ER was the cause. Could be age/corrosion/lack of lube contributing to the problem. In my case, the Glendinnng control head flashes all four. Typically, restarting the system will bring it back, but not always and definitely not soon enough. My procedure is to fully exercise the shifter prior to engine startup. This has eliminated the condition for the last 4-5 years. Also manually shifting in the ER scrambles the system. So a slightly out of adjustment cable can down the system by just not quite settling in gear or neutral. However, you should be able to manually override the system by forcibly moving the shifters. Glendinnng has a manual override thing, but I just can’t remember. They can be operated in a limited range manually (powered down) in a hurry which is what I think you’re after. Always exercise your shifters before startup.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Or it could be that transmission. Can’t edit well on phone.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I would think that you would never hear this story from a boat with Hynautic throttle and transmission controls .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Everything worked fine leaving slip I ran a cruise about 1875 RPMs for about five hours prior to pulling in for fuel when I went to reverse spin the boat to pull up to the fuel dock the port side went in reverse the starboard side lever moved to reverse but stuck in forward. It’s stunning how fast things can happen in tight quarters at 5 miles an hour. After a couple of futile moves in seconds I realize there was no stopping it and shut both engines off but 93,000 pounds doesn’t stop very quick. I will check connection and cable movement. But I think it may be the cam in the transmission that got stuck just by how it felt pulling the lever back to neutral.

Had it happen with Micro Commanders, cure for those was turn off power then turn back on, never had the problem again. Of course I did sell that boat which may be why I never had the problem again. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

This is the nightmare that I'm having when I'm jolted awake in a cold sweat. I seem to awaken before impact however.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I do have to make a post correction they are sturdy electronic controls not Glenn Denning as previously mentioned.

Had a similar issue about ten years ago. For me, it was the cable between the transmission and the actuator having corrosion. When the actuators where hot they did not have the same strength when the engine room was cooler. Replaced the cables and all resolved.
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I would think that you would never hear this story from a boat with Hynautic throttle and transmission controls .

I am assuming that this is said with tongue in cheek since our Hynautic controls were a nightmare of false neutrals, sticking in reverse or forward and general lack of confidence all around. We wound up replacing all actuators and quadrants since the waxy goo cannot be cleaned out of them by flushing, but not before terrifying me about every six months or so.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987