Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Having issues finding insurance

Who's everyone got insurance with on 1970's years? I purchased a 1973 58 YF from an estate sale in great condition, with a survey, and I'm getting rejected because of the price I paid for the boat and the age if the vessel, despite what the value on the survey says. Apparently I didn't pay enough Even United declined.

Any ideas on who to call now?

Re: Having issues finding insurance

I have used this company past three years:

http://www.overseainsurance.com/

Mitch Cohen Wilmington Ca75 YachtFish48YF363

I got the Geico notice this year. My agent Wallace, Welch & Willingham found me coverage pending a survey which I have lined up. They have kept me covered thus far with their various resources

http://marineins.com

I think American Modern is the company they plan to switch me to

May I ask if your just looking for liability coverage or physical damage included. There have been several posts lately related to finding insurance coverage. I just arrived in St Augustine and had to write a policy with liability coverage only due to traveling south of Cumberland Ga
    before November 1st. Rather than be cancelled my agent suggested that I cancel my policy and take a liability only policy so that I didn't get into a situation where I was cancelled and had that on my record.
    As a new resident Floridian I have not been able to find coverage except for a company that offered full hurricane, physical damage and liability coverage for a very high premium cost and the deductible for Hurricane coverage was 60% and deductible on physical damage was 30%. That's nuts the company has next to nothing in risk with a policy like that. Needless to say I'm going liability only for now until the market loosens up.

I have had liability only for over ten years , about $735 a year ,until last year, it jumped to $850 . This year , without explanation , it jumped to $1200 . A 50 % increase in one year , I wonder why .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

My liability only was quoted at around 2200 but that was with a charter endorsement. That is almost what I was paying for the total package with limited charters using the gecko. I had them drop the charter coverage for the time being as I haven't done one in a couple of years.

We have had Sam as our Broker/Agent for 5 years with our Commercial Fishing Vessel and when we got our 1976 Hatteras 53 this past March he had no issues getting us insured. Keep in mind older vessels and how far out off the coast vs inland waters all make a difference on cost. We are in California and his being in WA has never been an issue either.

No guarantee but can't hurt to reach out. Good luck!

Sam Landback
    ANCHOR MARINE UNDERWRITERS
    2731 77th Ave SE, #207
    Mercer Island, WA 98040
    Phone 206-273-6996
    Fax 206-273-6999
    La Jefa
    1976 MY Hatteras 53
    Hull Number 410
    Napa, CA