Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery voltage

Battery voltage

Had battery blow up last week replaced two 8d in series
    Battery was only 2 years old measured voltage with
    Charger on reads 28.8 volts input would be greatly appreciated
    🤔🤔🤔🤔

Re: Battery voltage

Sounds like charger is cooking batteries.

28.8Vdc is about the start-up or bulk level of a charger.
    As the battery takes a charge, the better charger should calm down to a float charge of around 26.5 to 27Vdc.

So, Do you have a smart charger with a profile correctly programed in or a constant and set charger only putting out 28.8Vdc?

Batteries can blow up for many reasons;
    Dry and/or overcharging per cell is usually the culprit.

Lack of water is the most likely culprit.

I have LaMarch constavolt 40 amp charger after couple days still at 28.8 volts im going to
    see if I find the manual thanks for input

Quote Originally Posted by major hattitude View Post
    I have LaMarch constavolt 40 amp charger after couple days still at 28.8 volts im going to
    see if I find the manual thanks for input
    Like my ole Raritan chargers, Not smart at all.
    Hence the name; ConstaVolt.
    Not sure if the ole LaMarchis is adjustable. If it is, get it down to the battery mfgs float charge level.

Also, Battery float levels do change from battery mfgs to other mfgs.
    Then battery types can change float specs.

7. Re: Battery voltage

I replaced my La MARCHE last year with a Sentry and have not looked back. I can’t say the La MARCHE was a lousy charger; it lasted almost 40 years, but I needed to add water too often (about every week). At that rate, distilled water became untenable, and the dirty hose water was causing batteries to fail earlier than they should have. With the Sentry, I have yet to add water this season with the batteries always charged and water level where it should be.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Sounds like I should upgrade my charger any recommendations would be apricated !!

9. Re: Battery voltage

I would replace it. I prematurely killed a bank of Rolls batteries which cost a lot more than an new charger. I went with a Sentry mostly because I was able to talk to the company directly. They got me exactly what I needed with great customer service.
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328

Thanks for all input which Sentry charger which model did you use or how many amps for the 8D
    batteries