Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

water in cylinder

Update on my project; I received and replaced the exhaust manifold. Utilizing the test of plugging the lower water connection and adding water from the top (and blowing it with shop vac), I can see that the water level stayed the same.
    I started the engine, and it started up great, and about 3 mins later, it started sounding like something was up, so I stopped the engine, opened up the spark plugs, and I (STILL) have water in cylinder, but now, it is the #2, (the highest) cylinder.
    At this point, my assumptions are; bad headgasket, cracked head, or cracked block. I have confirmed that there is no water from the manifold, so do you see any other ideas other than taking off the head to see how the water is getting into the cylinder?
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: water in cylinder

Posting some pics would go a long way toward someone being able to help. Did you take any pics of the R&R of the manifold?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Is the engine raw water cooled or is there a heat exchanger. Did you replace the elbow or just the manifold? I think the exhaust crossed over the intake manifold on those engines but, I haven’t worked on one for about 40 years.

Where’s Rusty? Wonder if he got back running again
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present