Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Lightbulb 70 Hatteras Sinks

I would think one would have to replace the electrical, sure it'll eventually dry out, but I'd be more worried about the corrosion.

But I have no clue.
    Last edited by Stripes; 12-15-2021 at 06:59 AM.
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

Re: 70 Hatteras Sinks

In these newer boats it’s not always fuel. I’ve seen several loss of power due electrical problems specifically bad grounds. That said how do you know what your USABLE fuel quantity is unless you run the tanks down. In 45 years of long range trips including multi day offshore NE canyon and 3 trips to Cozumel I’ve run the tanks dry so I knew exactly how much fuel I had left onboard. I never run both off one tank. And never feed from a low tank running an inlet or in a tight maneuvering situation. But I’ve found the usable fuel is now what is advertised. Hatteras stated my boat and most 53C’s at 450 FWD 350MID and 250AFT for 1050 total. In reality my usable is 435-313-224 for a total of 972 which is over 2 hours running time less.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Anything is possible incl elecrical issues but... I m pretty sure these vintage MYs had 3412Es. These are pretty bullet proof especially installed by Hatteras. To loose both engines at the same time because of a non fuel failure is extremely unlikely bordering on impossible. If it was an earlier model, it could have had mechanical 3412s which are probably even more reliable.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It is amazing the number of things that look ok after a sinking but fail later. I rewired a 46 sail boat that sunk due to a failed drip less shaft seal. The surveyor said that the vacuflush toilets were ok, however I opened a motor that was working and a bunch of water pored out. The engines were hosed down with fresh water immediately but later the flywheel started rusting. It took 2 people 4 months to redo all the electrical wiring which included a complete new electrical panel and pulling all new wires. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by howhomes View Post
    that is freshwater, not saltwater? Are the mechanicals really in trouble?

The follow up pictures showed it a lot deeper than the one I originally saw, heck it looked like it just ran aground in the first pic I saw. These pics make it look like then entire lower level was flooded.

That's a lot of water / mold / rust.

So far as mechanicals I don't have a clue, maybe someone here has experienced with washed and rinsed diesels but it can't be good.

Big Risk.

I once dunked a jet ski. rinsed the motor with fuel oil I think or maybe it was mineral spirits. Did it about 5 or 6 times. Then did the same with motor oil. Did it 3 or 4 times.
    Pulled the plugs and flushed out the cylinder then cranked it over with each rinse.

Never saw any metal flakes in the oil.

So when I was done trying to salvage-Rinse it I put the plugs in and it fired up. Reved up good to.

Took it to the water and it went about 1/4 mile, bogged down and died. - So in went a new motor.

I think what I learned there is water can do a lot of hidden damage that you might not be able to detect.

What I don't know is if there was water in the motor when it was running, i..e while it was sinking.

Bottom line is water is not a good lubricant or rust inhibitor LOL.

I think as someone mentioned about the electrical, it might dry but you might get a corroded connection, then a month later another one, then another, then another. But you might be able to pull all the connections clean up anything with corrosion and put some anti-corrosion paste in, and who knows? It would have to be a real deal to tackle it.

That boat would also carry a reputation with it that would affect resale value. Things to consider if your thinking about going down that road.
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name

Then again, there's Yachtsman Willie and the Hatteras submarine he miraculously resurrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Quinn View Post
    The follow up pictures showed it a lot deeper than the one I originally saw, heck it looked like it just ran aground in the first pic I saw. These pics make it look like then entire lower level was flooded.

That's a lot of water / mold / rust.

So far as mechanicals I don't have a clue, maybe someone here has experienced with washed and rinsed diesels but it can't be good.

Big Risk.

I once dunked a jet ski. rinsed the motor with fuel oil I think or maybe it was mineral spirits. Did it about 5 or 6 times. Then did the same with motor oil. Did it 3 or 4 times.
    Pulled the plugs and flushed out the cylinder then cranked it over with each rinse.

Never saw any metal flakes in the oil.

So when I was done trying to salvage-Rinse it I put the plugs in and it fired up. Reved up good to.

Took it to the water and it went about 1/4 mile, bogged down and died. - So in went a new motor.

I think what I learned there is water can do a lot of hidden damage that you might not be able to detect.

What I don't know is if there was water in the motor when it was running, i..e while it was sinking.

Bottom line is water is not a good lubricant or rust inhibitor LOL.

I think as someone mentioned about the electrical, it might dry but you might get a corroded connection, then a month later another one, then another, then another. But you might be able to pull all the connections clean up anything with corrosion and put some anti-corrosion paste in, and who knows? It would have to be a real deal to tackle it.

That boat would also carry a reputation with it that would affect resale value. Things to consider if your thinking about going down that road.

Did the ski go under running? If so thats what killed the engine. Hot piston got cooled quick by cold water changed the metal properties getting cooled so fast. Especially if a 2 stroke. Next event after seems to run okay it the piston skirt on exhaust side falls off and then it's a crapshoot on whether it falls safely to bottom of crank or gets driven through cases with a punch from the crank.

This is one of those things I know not because I'm smart, It's because I screwed that shit up. Literally jumped my MX bike into a deep water hole and it drowned at full throttle. Got it drained and running again and about 20 minutes later the shit hit the fan. Another time later I went over the bars crossing a cranberry bog on an underwater road with a sharp bump you could not see. I'm sliding down the watery road and I hear the bike go under water again at full throttle. Wait 1 hour soaking wet in 45 degree temps for my buddies to ride back to my house and come back with van and trailer. Much cheaper this time. Swap out perfect looking (but bad) piston and rings with new and good to go.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Couple of years ago I had to clean up a SeaDoo spark which had turtles and partially sank after the guests let it sit upside down too long. Pulled the plugs, crank it up with diesel then oil etc. it has been fine after that even though it was salt water. One issue was that the intake had water trapped in it so I had to do the cleaning twice
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Then again, there's Yachtsman Willie and the Hatteras submarine he miraculously resurrected.
    There are posters on here who seem to know more about boating as a business as opposed to a hobby or retirement goal. When you see this boat, you wonder if you have corrosive wire issues and the interior is shot and can have the mold issues, what happens? It gets parted and crushed? It sits in the yard a little bit and a storage bill gets whacked up? They bring it to a salvage auction. I've seen far more smaller boats at these. The fiberglass a pound for a crusher amounts to anything substantial. The expression "saving the old girl" if its not so old has much competition to parting out on a boat like this.One thing a novice like me can see, is the skill level to have a finished product of yacht quality and mechanically perfect would not likely be an undertaking that you would get correct the first time, there will be gremlins with fit and finish as well as it all working. Any comments welcomed because it's always been something in the background in a boat yard when after a storm a boat is severely damaged and 2 weeks later it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Did the ski go under running? If so thats what killed the engine. Hot piston got cooled quick by cold water changed the metal properties getting cooled so fast. Especially if a 2 stroke. Next event after seems to run okay it the piston skirt on exhaust side falls off and then it's a crapshoot on whether it falls safely to bottom of crank or gets driven through cases with a punch from the crank.

This is one of those things I know not because I'm smart, It's because I screwed that shit up. Literally jumped my MX bike into a deep water hole and it drowned at full throttle. Got it drained and running again and about 20 minutes later the shit hit the fan. Another time later I went over the bars crossing a cranberry bog on an underwater road with a sharp bump you could not see. I'm sliding down the watery road and I hear the bike go under water again at full throttle. Wait 1 hour soaking wet in 45 degree temps for my buddies to ride back to my house and come back with van and trailer. Much cheaper this time. Swap out perfect looking (but bad) piston and rings with new and good to go.
    Yeah, I think it might have been running when it went under. I wasn't on it, not sure if took in water through the intake or only after it was shut down. All I know is I was waved down and I told the guy on it to kill it. I'm guessing if it sucked it it it would have just blown up because water doesn't compress. Either way I know there was water in the oil. Can't recall if there was water in the cylinders or not. I'm thinking there was.
    When I pulled the ski onto the trailer and pulled the seat the water was up over top of the motor.
    Bad way to end a day on the water LOL.

I wish I had a better story after hearing yours! LOL you must be a wild man!
    1980 53' Hatteras MY, Hull # 592

"Moon River" <-- Finally picked a name